Author Topic: Treading a Fine Line  (Read 3596 times)

gipper

Treading a Fine Line
« on: August 03, 2008, 05:10:38 PM »
Caught between George W. Bush and his own vapidity, John McCain has consciously decided to run a negative campaign against Barack Obama. This will work to McCain's serious detriment, for at least two reasons: first, it will tarnish beyond repair McCain's brand-name of Mr. Clean, and second, it will present the country with a caricature of Obama that the the latter can live down in spades just by showing up. The  one constant about this campaign, which I have no fear of alteration, is that Obama is a genuine heavyweight whose very thought processes prove the point. Thus, at some point, the McCain attacks will be seen by most as veiled attacks on "newness," stated euphemistically. That is a very dangerous strategy. Whether or not Obama returns the negative fire -- and there is a lot to criticize McCain about not only from a policy standpoint but from a character and judgment standpoint -- McCain will continue to paint himsellf a doddering fool the more he goes negative. That type of frank meanness, sacrificing an uplifting policy-driven campaign for a foray in the mud, will work to McCain's everlasting detriment.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Treading a Fine Line
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 06:01:47 PM »
Welcome back.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 06:04:33 PM »
with a caricature of Obama that the the latter can live down in spades just by showing up.

No worries , he has accepted the challenge to appear at a long series of town hall meetings, but he isn't showing up.

No one is worried that he will show up , so his caricture as a chicken is getting to be a shoe that fits.

Welcome welcome where ya been?

gipper

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 06:05:41 PM »
Nice to see you, Ami, and everyone.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 01:22:19 PM »
Welcome--missed seeing you here.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Knutey

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 01:54:24 PM »
with a caricature of Obama that the the latter can live down in spades just by showing up.

No worries , he has accepted the challenge to appear at a long series of town hall meetings, but he isn't showing up.

No one is worried that he will show up , so his caricture as a chicken is getting to be a shoe that fits.

Welcome welcome where ya been?

He only needs to show up at one debate to show McCain up for the doddering old fool that he is.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 02:05:42 PM »
McCain will concentrate on giving undecided voters a reason for exhibiting their inherent racism that will allow them to not feel that they are motivated by fear of having a Black man in charge. He can't win on his record, because most of what he has done has not benefited most of the people: lowering taxes on the rich, voting against the MLK holiday, supporting all manner of weaponry, but cutting back on vets' benefits, voting against the minimum wage for the poorest of the working poor. And then there is hugging Juniorbush, who stabbed him in the back in SC, supporting a useless war, going along with nearly every dumb idea the GOP has come up with in the last 20 years. If there is no energy policy, it is thanks to guys like McCain.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 02:15:31 PM »
It's Obama's race to lose.

Crying racism every time a position is criticized  or lack of substance is pointed out is one of the ways that can happen.

The simple fact that is emerging from polls among likely voters is they don't have a clear picture of who Obama is. I don't think Obama's campaign wants to solidify the perception that he is a whiney crybaby.

Because i don't think that persona wins in the heartland.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 02:29:04 PM »
<<It's Obama's race to lose.>>

True.

<<Crying racism every time a position is criticized  or lack of substance is pointed out is one of the ways that can happen. >>

That's right, but cowering in silence every time McCain or one of his sleazy surrogates plays the race card "Barack <a href="http://[font=Verdana][i][b]HUSAIN[/b][/i][/font]" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://[font=Verdana][i][b]HUSAIN[/b][/i][/font]</a> Obama," Obama linked in an ad to two blonde bimbos, etc.) is not exactly the way to to either.

Knutey

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 02:46:16 PM »
<<It's Obama's race to lose.>>

True.

<<Crying racism every time a position is criticized&nbsp; or lack of substance is pointed out is one of the ways that can happen. >>

That's right, but cowering in silence every time McCain or one of his sleazy surrogates plays the race card "Barack <a href="http://[font=Verdana][i][b]HUSAIN[/b][/i][/font]" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://[font=Verdana][i][b]HUSAIN[/b][/i][/font]</a> Obama," Obama linked in an ad to two blonde bimbos, etc.) is not exactly the way to to either.

I usually pride(or should I say shame ) myself thinking I know where the RW are coming from. McCain claiming Obama was playong the race card until I figured out thatit is the most convoluted of all their convolutions. First they run a racist ad and then they claim Obama is playing the race card by pointing out that it is racist. Dick Tuck would be very proud of these MCCain dirty tricksters

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 02:49:17 PM »
Except that Obama downgraded the charge from Racist to Cynical, himself.

Knutey

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 03:03:47 PM »
Except that Obama downgraded the charge from Racist to Cynical, himself.

Of course he did! The biggest sin a politician can commit in an election year is personally telling the unvarnished truth. People might say he is playing the race card. BWAHAHAHAHA!

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 03:12:19 PM »
So now you are calling Obama a liar? Interesting strategy.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 03:16:16 PM by BT »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 03:27:07 PM »
Perhaps he doesn't want appearing onstage with wite women to equate with racist propaganda.

What awfull racist aranged for him to be talking to this white woman?

Odbviously he has no business being juxtaposed with a white woman for any reason other than exciteing Racists , shame on you Mrs. Clinton for being a race baiter.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 04:00:45 PM by Plane »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 04:14:28 PM »