Author Topic: Opinion Poll  (Read 4143 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Opinion Poll
« on: November 16, 2008, 12:57:45 AM »
Should we bail out Detroit?

Yes

No

Why?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Opinion Poll
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 01:03:41 AM »
There is no reason to bail out the auto industry. GM, Ford and Chrysler made really bad decisions, while Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai and others did not. Bankruptcy and consolidation seem to be the best path. If I wouldn't voluntarily buy an Expedition or a Denali, why should I be taxed so more of these be produced?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 01:05:08 AM »
There is no reason to bail out the auto industry. GM, Ford and Chrysler made really bad decisions, while Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai and others did not. Bankruptcy and consolidation seem to be the best path. If I wouldn't voluntarily buy an Expedition or a Denali, why should I be taxed so more of these be produced?

Was it a mistake to bail out Wall Street?

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 01:54:26 AM »

Yes

No

Why?

Yes - but only because the economic turmoil that will otherwise ensue when millions of (more) people are out of work will be devastating. Not because they otherwise deserve it, much like the other bailout.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 02:02:31 AM »

Yes

No

Why?

Yes - but only because the economic turmoil that will otherwise ensue when millions of (more) people are out of work will be devastating. Not because they otherwise deserve it, much like the other bailout.

Would we be better off cushioning the innocents instead of rewarding the automakers for not being prepared for a change in the marketplace?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 04:05:04 AM »
No

A) Government has no business bailing out companies that have run themselves into the ground.  Why stop there?  Why shouldn't it save EVERY failing business??  Every Mon-and pop store, every restaurant, every mini-mall.  Surely their jobs are just as important, right?

B) There is no guarantee, what-so-ever, that the tax payer dollars could be paid back, by any bail out

C) What goes around, comes around.  The unions helped bring about the huge expense it is to make american cars, compared to other countries like Japan, all the while making an inferior product
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:21:30 AM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 04:14:49 AM »
Would we be better off cushioning the innocents instead of rewarding the automakers for not being prepared for a change in the marketplace?

Great idea - but how? The money saved by not bailing out could only cushion these people for so long. If the Big 3 are brought back up to full strength, with oversights and re-evaluation of the direction they're going, they will become profitable again.

If they close down, so many would have to be re-trained and re-employed - and where on earth are jobs for millions of people going to come from before the cushion cash runs out? As you said, these ARE innocents - hard working, decent people who are about to get screwed. Being from the Motor City, I'm a bit more sensitive about it as Michigan is already suffering terribly.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 09:15:23 AM »
If the Big 3 are brought back up to full strength, with oversights and re-evaluation of the direction they're going, they will become profitable again.

=========================================
In 30 years, they have had no plan for a comeback excep[t for foisting large gashog trucks and SUVs. If they have no plan sell what people can afford to drive and will buy, all the money in the world will not save them.

If you give Ned the Wino money, he will piss it away on more Sweet Lucy and Thunderripple.

Knutey

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 11:28:36 AM »
The only bail out that is clearly needed is the economy. If that entails helping the auto industry and the banking system survive , so be it. I have bad feelings about following  the nostrums of the moron ( read Bushidiot) that got US into this mess . I will feel better when an intelligent man(Big O) takes over.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 12:01:50 PM »
All bailouts have to involve a clear plan for what will be done to cause an upturn, and how the money will be paid back.

Otherwise, they are just giveaways.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
I will feel better when an intelligent man(Big O) takes over.

Isn't it Pelosi and Company pushing the auto bailout?

crocat

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 04:16:38 PM »
I was listening to Arnold this A.M.  I think he is pretty much on target about the bailout.

Do the bail out with more transparency and make sure that the auto companies have a concise business plan that brings them into the ages.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 04:51:37 PM »
I was listening to Arnold this A.M.  I think he is pretty much on target about the bailout.

Do the bail out with more transparency and make sure that the auto companies have a concise business plan that brings them into the ages.

Crocat , do you still have freinds in the Detroit area?

This must be a popular topic there.

crocat

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 04:56:47 PM »

Crocat , do you still have freinds in the Detroit area?

This must be a popular topic there.

My son still lives there.  He is an engineer (with a degree) and was out of work since the spring until last week.  He had been unemployed 3 years ago for six months and now he is right back to the same amount he hired in for then.... and very thankful that he didn't fall lower than that.

It is bleak, Plane... very bleak.

BSB

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 05:13:45 PM »
Detroit hasn't made a decent car since my grandfathers Roadmaster, or my fathers Electra 225. Fuck 'em.