Author Topic: Republicans and evangelicals  (Read 37201 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Republicans and evangelicals
« on: October 11, 2006, 01:36:33 AM »
Tucker Carlson was brutally honest on the Chris Matthews' Show about the dysfunction and hypocrisy at the core of the current GOP:

CARLSON: It goes deeper than that though. The deep truth is that the elites in the Republican Party have pure contempt for the evangelicals who put their party in power. Everybody in ...

MATTHEWS:  How do you know that?  How do you know that?

CARLSON: Because I know them. Because I grew up with them. Because I live with them.  they live on my street. Because I live in Washington, and I know that everybody in our world has contempt for the evangelicals. And the evangelicals know that, and they're beginning to learn that their own leaders sort of look askance at them and don't share their values.

MATTHEWS: So this gay marriage issue and other issues related to the gay lifestyle are simply tools to get elected?

CARLSON: That's exactly right. It's pandering to the base in the most cynical way, and the base is beginning to figure it out.

http://time.blogs.com/daily_dish/2006/10/the_republican__1.html
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Mucho

Re: Republicans and evangelicals
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 11:11:25 AM »
Tucker Carlson was brutally honest on the Chris Matthews' Show about the dysfunction and hypocrisy at the core of the current GOP:

CARLSON: It goes deeper than that though. The deep truth is that the elites in the Republican Party have pure contempt for the evangelicals who put their party in power. Everybody in ...

MATTHEWS:  How do you know that?  How do you know that?

CARLSON: Because I know them. Because I grew up with them. Because I live with them.  they live on my street. Because I live in Washington, and I know that everybody in our world has contempt for the evangelicals. And the evangelicals know that, and they're beginning to learn that their own leaders sort of look askance at them and don't share their values.

MATTHEWS: So this gay marriage issue and other issues related to the gay lifestyle are simply tools to get elected?

CARLSON: That's exactly right. It's pandering to the base in the most cynical way, and the base is beginning to figure it out.

http://time.blogs.com/daily_dish/2006/10/the_republican__1.html

I would love to believe this, but I grew up with Evangelical and they are too stupid to  figure out anything.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/09/us/politics/09conservatives.html?em&ex=1160539200&en=23d887207a0782ed&ei=5087%0A

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 01:35:34 PM »
I disagree, I know evangelicals and they're not stupid.  Well, some are, but so are some Hindus, atheists, whatever.
But Evangelicals are no more stupid than anyone else, in my opinion.   
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Mucho

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 02:03:04 PM »
I disagree, I know evangelicals and they're not stupid.  Well, some are, but so are some Hindus, atheists, whatever.
But Evangelicals are no more stupid than anyone else, in my opinion.   

Sorry , Lanya , but a much larger % of Evangelicals are stupid. 52% of the general public voted for Bush while 78% of them did.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1058/is_24_121/ai_n8702453
I was raised in a 4Square church, but got out at 12 because I was already smarter than those dumbasses. They are stupid beyond redemption. The only hope is to stun them enough for them to stay home on election day like the jackasses they are.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 02:29:36 PM »
I was raised in a 4Square church, but got out at 12 because I was already smarter than those dumbasses.

Yeah, and all the women in Texas are ugly.

We already know that you're a bigoted slimeball, we don't need daily displays from you.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Mucho

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 02:40:09 PM »
I was raised in a 4Square church, but got out at 12 because I was already smarter than those dumbasses.

Yeah, and all the women in Texas are ugly.

We already know that you're a bigoted slimeball, we don't need daily displays from you.

I thought it was about time for you to crawl out of your hole.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 02:50:57 PM »
I thought it was about time for you to crawl out of your hole.

Yeah, thought you needed me to provide you some shade as you sit under your rock.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

The_Professor

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 04:33:56 PM »
Why the sheer hatred, Mr. Mucho Dude? Look ot the Creator, not the Created. People who go to ANY church are like everyone else, flawed. Hypocritical, self-absorbed, etc. A differecne is that amny realize it and realize they need help form Above to sort it all out.

As far as evangleiclas being stupid, the only place I have ever been called STUPID is in here. Wonder what that says? I always believed that debategate was for debating, not name-calling. Do you agree?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 04:54:54 PM by The_Professor »

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 04:46:43 PM »
Quote:"Sorry , Lanya , but a much larger % of Evangelicals are stupid. 52% of the general public voted for Bush while 78% of them did."

OK, this is what they did: They organized for the past 30 some years. Remember old Falwell and the Moral Majority?  Remember fundamentalists running for school board? Remember?  That took much time, money, lots of networking, dedication.  And then, finally, they got a candidate that they have full confidence in.  He's GHW Bush's son, AND he's born again.  He's their kind of conservative. He wants faith-based stuff. 
They think he's really the answer to a lot of prayers.
Now, they' re wrong, but they are not stupid.
  They're stubborn, they're true believers maybe, and they're willfully believing in some things that  (as far as I can see) are disproven factually.  And I'm not talking about religious stuff, I'm talking about the facts of things that happened last week.
 They believe some trusted person's take on those facts.
They believed a liar.
Now, they are learning a very bitter lesson. 

The_Professor

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 05:01:25 PM »
I see some truth here, Lanya. They did spend many years and resources organizing, only to be disappointed.

But, many evangelicals are only in the Republican Party because they feel it is closer to what they believe than the Demcorats, not because they naively believe the Republican Party is all that Grand of a Party. At least, that is MY reason. Gimme a Democrat I can support. Please. There are a few like Sam Nunn, oops retired. Zell Miller, oops, retired, Congressman Lincoln Davis (D-TN), Ben Nelson. Anyway, gimme a pro-life, fiscally conservative, anti-gay, non-intervenionsit  Democrat and I'm on board! Heck, I'll even stuff envelopes for him!

Mucho

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 05:34:25 PM »
Why the sheer hatred, Mr. Mucho Dude? Look ot the Creator, not the Created. People who go to ANY church are like everyone else, flawed. Hypocritical, self-absorbed, etc. A differecne is that amny realize it and realize they need help form Above to sort it all out.

As far as evangleiclas being stupid, the only place I have ever been called STUPID is in here. Wonder what that says? I always believed that debategate was for debating, not name-calling. Do you agree?

The Creator to me is a big bang and hypocrits in church have nothing to do with it. I do not call people stupid lightly, bit only when they prove it as Bush, the Rwers in here  and Evangelicals do. I use debategate as an arena to tell the truth as I see it, but that often lands me in trouble because folks here as in " A Few Good Men" can't take the truth. The only people I hate are the arrogant real haters who choose to hate those that can't chose what they are which is a position haters can never understand.

The_Professor

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 05:36:27 PM »
Sorry, but you can always choose who and what you are. You, over the span of your life, design yuorself by your reaction to yuor environment, genetic factors and so on. Ever heard of free will?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 09:08:36 PM by The_Professor »

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 05:47:53 PM »
If you're gay, you can't choose that.  If you want someone who will be against gays, you're not going to be happy with either party.  The GOP says they're anti-gay but has lots of gay staffers and really has no problem with them...
The Democratic Party says your sexuality is not their concern.  Also your choices re: abortion. 
I would encourage you to take a realistic look at both parties.  See under which party the country has prospered the most. 

The_Professor

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 05:55:26 PM »
Ah, but you CAN choose to be or not to be gay. It is not genetic, regardless of the propaganda being spewed from the MSM and pro-gay community.

If I was pro-gay, then I would be a hypocrite, jsut like in the referenced article since the Word of God clearly indicates this is a real no-no.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 07:21:01 PM »
I would encourage you to take a realistic look at both parties.  See under which party the country has prospered the most. 

I have; that's why I usually vote Republican.