Author Topic: Racism in 2007  (Read 9769 times)

fatman

Re: Racism in 2007
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2007, 01:07:28 AM »
And Edwin Meese , under a Democratic Administration, was better?

Meese was under Reagan.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2007, 03:04:33 AM »
my brother(who is black) linked me this video
so don`t blame me
he says he`s tired also

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2007, 03:05:02 AM »

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2007, 03:16:45 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d036oDVEehY&mode=related&search=

This was written and sung by John Lennon
(Don't know who's miming  it in the clip)
Warning: THE N WORD IS IN HERE

Kimba, I get what your brother is saying.  But think about it from the woman's perspective: Black women want black men, white women want black men,  black men want...white women.  So where does that leave a black woman?
 Wanting.
But it's not going to change, change is here and it's multiracial. I think that's been going on for eons now, centuries anyway.  We just don't know our family trees wayy back when.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2007, 03:49:14 AM »
well not all white women
my ex married me because she had a severe fascination with asian men
something to do with having great looking kids.
she`s a cross between catherine oxenburg and elisabeth shue
I never had a chance

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2007, 09:51:42 AM »
And Edwin Meese , under a Democratic Administration, was better?

Meese was under Reagan.

Er, Griffin Bell?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

fatman

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2007, 01:32:55 PM »
Er, Griffin Bell?

Ok prof, I figured that it was an accident.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2007, 03:19:47 PM »
That Tired Black Man was one of the better scenes in that film.

Somehow, the belief that Black women are somehow stronger than White women is a pervasive myth of American life. It seems to me that there is really very little concrete evidence that this is so. Black women are stronger in some ways, White women in others, but the fact is that the individual, be it a Black man, White Man, Black woman, or White woman is vastly more important than any generalities that people may have.

There is always some truth to stereotypes: no one thinks of Thai basketball heroes, Jewish drunks, Wasp bluesmen or Chinese eccentrics, although no doubt some of each exists.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2007, 07:17:19 PM »
I'm waiting for Ami to explain to us that Louisiana is really a part of Idaho.

One of the guys involved in the Jena case was involved with the death threats in Idaho?

And, like BT pointed out, I never said that no bigots exist in the south. I always said that in my experience, more bigots live in the north.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2007, 12:25:11 AM »

There is always some truth to stereotypes: no one thinks of Thai basketball heroes, Jewish drunks, Wasp bluesmen or Chinese eccentrics,

I think I`m one of those

you`ve seem my spam collection on my desk

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2007, 01:05:33 AM »
Something to do with "stealing good black men" away from black women appeared to be the (ir)rationale.  I couldn't point out the reason, but the hostility was definately enough to have facilitated death threats.

That is possible, but I frankly have doubts that such would be the cause of death threats.

I never claimed it a "cause", simply referencing the vitriolic anger regarding a black male marrying or even dating a white woman, coming from those in the audience I saw & heard, that in my opinion, could have easily transitioned to death threats

Part of the problem is fame.

A simular couple without the fame would have drawn less attention.

There may be less than one person in ten thousand  with such a bad case of prejudice that would motivate them to death threats , but with national exposure this can amount to thousands of death threats.

Nothingis going to eliminate such misguided thinking , however rare it becomes , but least effective  of all methods are thos that seem to validate the "victim" status of the racist.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2007, 01:47:58 PM »
An interesting story that happened to me over the weekend. I was in Northeast Tennessee at a TVA lake which has a nice swimming area with a beach. My son loves to go there when we are in that part of the state. He was having a blast out playing with the kids in the water.

A lady came up to me and when she began to speak I knew immediately that she wasn't from "around these parts" (it works both ways :) ). I had an idea of where she was from because I have a segment of my family from the Queen City, though I generally avoid that part of the extended family (and they avoid us so it all works out well).

Regardless, she confirmed that she was from Cincinnati and had moved there recently. She began telling me how much she loved the region primarily because there weren't many of "them" around. I don't know if I was too busy keeping an eye on my son or am just that naive, but I told her that I had no idea what she was talking about. So she said, "you know, them." She told me that she called her brother and told him that she had gone an entire week without seeing a black person (though she used a pejorative there). He had told her in reply that he might have to move there too.

I looked at her and said, "what makes you think that I think like you do?" She dragged herself back over to her beach towel.

Interestingly, at that very moment I thought to myself that it is amazing that so many people live insulated from the reality that racism exists alive and well in 2007 (just like the title of this thread). I hear many people pay it small lip service and then talk about how it really doesn't exist or talk about examples of how white people are discriminated against.

Racism, geared towards blacks and especially Hispanic people is very much alive and well. 
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2007, 02:00:16 PM »
Racism, geared towards blacks and especially Hispanic people is very much alive and well. 

And it looks like it was imported into that part of Tennessee from a northern state. ;-)

And trust me, it's not limited to "towards ... Hispanic people" - my daughter's current boyfriend is part Mexican, and his Mexican mother has nothing good to say about blacks, either.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2007, 02:11:18 PM »
A friend of mine is a carpenter here in the Macon area. He helps build homes in the various subdivisions around here (we are in a booming area due to the prosperous nature of Robins Air Force Base). He is also from Mexico and is one of the hardest people I know. He says he never hires blacks because they are lazy. He says it has nothing to do with their skin color. He says the eleven (he counted them up and listed them by name) he has hired over they ears were lazy and thought the world "owed them". My friend came here from Mexico with ten dollars and a family of five. In none years he has worked himself up to the point of carpenter foreman. He says no one gave him anything, he EARNED his way. Therefore, he cannot understand why others think the world owes them.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2007, 02:12:30 PM »

And it looks like it was imported into that part of Tennessee from a northern state. ;-)

And trust me, it's not limited to "towards ... Hispanic people" - my daughter's current boyfriend is part Mexican, and his Mexican mother has nothing good to say about blacks, either.

That's very true. One of the most anti-illegal immigrant and racist anti-Mexican folks around here is a black minister. Very sad.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.