Author Topic: President George Bush Kicking A$$  (Read 88169 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: President George Bush Kicking A$$
« Reply #180 on: June 09, 2008, 06:41:31 PM »
Cynthia, I love the "inch by inch, step by step" line.  I can't remember what that's from right now.  "Slowly I turned..."
Anyway, here's an interesting article that shows how we didn't cautiously go into this war.  Oh OK, we very cautiously marketed it, took lots of time planning how to 'roll out' the new 'product' that would be the Iraq war.  But diplomacy? Nonexistant, or nearly so.  We decided it was what we wanted and we just had to figure out how to make it palatable to our citizens, the hell with the rest of the world.  I can't get over this.  This was totally unnecessary and the blood of 4000+ soldiers is on Bush and his cronies' hands.

[........]
As former White House press secretary Scott McClellan wrote in his recently released book, "What Happened," the Iraq Group "had been set up in the summer of 2002 to coordinate the marketing of the war to the public."

"The script had been finalized with great care over the summer," McClellan wrote, for a "campaign to convince Americans that war with Iraq was inevitable and necessary."

In an interview with the New York Times published Sept. 6, 2002, Card did not mention the group, but he hinted at its mission. "From a marketing point of view, you don't introduce new products in August," he said.

Two days later, WHIG's product placement was on display. It began with a front-page story in the Times describing Iraq's clandestine purchase of aluminum tubes that, the story said, could be used to produce weapons-grade uranium. The story said that information came from "senior administration officials."

The story also spoke of "hardliners" in the Bush administration being "alarmed that American intelligence underestimated the pace and scale of Iraq's nuclear program before Baghdad's defeat in the gulf war." They "argue that Washington dare not wait until analysts have found hard evidence that Mr. Hussein has acquired a nuclear weapon. The first sign of a 'smoking gun,' they argue, may be a mushroom cloud," the Times story said.

That same morning, the message was carried on three network news shows. Cheney appeared on NBC's "Meet the Press" and, referring to the Times story, said that intelligence showed that Hussein "has reconstituted his nuclear program to develop a nuclear weapon." The Iraqi leader was "trying, through his illicit procurement network, to acquire the equipment he needs to be able to enrich uranium to make the bombs," Cheney said.

That same day, on CNN's "Late Edition," Rice said, "There will always be some uncertainty" in determining how close Iraq may be to obtaining a nuclear weapon but, "we don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud."

On CBS's "Face the Nation," Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld was asked about the Times story and whether Hussein had nuclear weapons. "Is there a smoking gun here?" host Bob Schieffer asked. " 'Smoking gun' is an interesting phrase," Rumsfeld said, and then he went to the same message his colleagues had given.

"The problem with that is the way one gains absolute certainty as to whether a dictator like Saddam Hussein has a nuclear weapon is if he uses it . . . and that's a little late." Bush picked up the slogan a month later in his nationally televised speech on the threat from Iraq.

McClellan wrote that WHIG was not used to "deliberately mislead the public" but that the "more fundamental problem was the way [Bush's] advisers decided to pursue a political propaganda campaign to sell the war to the American people.

"As the campaign accelerated," he added, "caveats and qualifications were downplayed or dropped altogether. Contradictory intelligence was largely ignored or simply disregarded."

WHIG's records would shed much light on whether, as Sen. John D. Rockefeller IV (D-W.Va.), chairman of the intelligence panel, put it: "In making the case for war, the administration repeatedly presented intelligence as fact when it was unsubstantiated, contradicted or even nonexistent."

[.........]
 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/08/AR2008060801819.html?hpid=sec-politics
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Cynthia

« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2008, 09:22:01 PM »
YEs, I agree, Lanya...Thanks for the article.

Slowly I turn, step by step, inch by inch

It's from an I Love Lucy episode.
"Martha"!
;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:24:34 PM by Cynthia »

Cynthia

« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2008, 09:27:52 PM »

And given our previous intel, Bush acted precisely how he should have....

OY back!

By the way, read Lanya's article. IT might shed some light on the whole thing for you, Sirs.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:29:25 PM by Cynthia »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
Opinion duely noted
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Cynthia

« Reply #184 on: June 09, 2008, 09:34:11 PM »
Opinion duely noted

Takes notes this time, will ya?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: June 09, 2008, 09:36:31 PM »

Who else lives on this planet? Come on. This is not all about America. We are powerful, but we are also not in charge of the world. We can't possibly be, Sirs.     When you speak of Iran not being in compliance with something, and as a result they must suffer serious consequences...WHO'S GUNNA DO THAT?/ US?
HOW?

If not us then who?

Who and what is prepared to be the worlds policeman?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: June 09, 2008, 09:38:13 PM »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

fatman

« Reply #187 on: June 09, 2008, 09:45:58 PM »

Does the world need a policeman?

If so, why?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: June 09, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »

Does the world need a policeman?

If so, why?

There will be a toughest and a strongest , it won't be us forever .

Next it will perhaps be a country or agency better than us , but it that more likely, than an agency or country worse than the Third Reich?

The toughest and strongest will not be indiffrent , apathy doesn't become the strongest.

Cynthia

« Reply #189 on: June 09, 2008, 10:04:30 PM »
Opinion duely noted

Takes notes this time, will ya?

???

Read up on what really happed under Pres. Bush when applying his almighty expertise on the world in order to save us all from terrorism, Sirs...

Stop resting on your own idealistic hopes, but in reality only your own denial---- which seems so typical as it is completely a right wing swing spin. Reality is going to hit you hard someday, Sirs....you just don't have the fundamental idea of what has happened here.

I used to support the idea of fighting terrorism, via Bahgdad...but come on.....enough is enough. There is damage in our country, as I see it. People are screaming bloody murder.....support the war, send the troops home!
Supporting the war on terror is one thing. Supporting BUsh just because you are a conservative is stupid.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 10:07:32 PM by Cynthia »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #190 on: June 09, 2008, 11:37:56 PM »
What precisely is wrong with the statement that we don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud?

Cynthia

« Reply #191 on: June 09, 2008, 11:43:46 PM »
What precisely is wrong with the statement that we don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud?

I wondered when you would show up BT.
The Smoking gun in all of this (Osama) is still hiding in the mountains somewhere out there, BT.

Mushroom cloud?

The loss of integrity and honor in the face of the crowd.....we as Americans had an obligation to do the right thing. Bush wasn't the right one to do the right thing, BT..no matter how much you and others want to believe otherwise....and coming from a Rep. family..I do not say that without  reservations and some sadness.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: June 09, 2008, 11:52:33 PM »
The Smoking gun in all of this (Osama) is still hiding in the mountains somewhere out there, BT.

Mushroom cloud?

The loss of integrity and honor in the face of the crowd.....we as Americans had an obligation to do the right thing. Bush wasn't the right one to do the right thing, BT..no matter how much you and others want to believe otherwise....and coming from a Rep. family..I do not say that without  reservations and some sadness.

You evaded the question. Would you like a second try?

Cynthia

« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2008, 11:55:28 PM »

Mushroom cloud?

You evaded the question. Would you like a second try?

Nah, that's ok....I could have predicted your patronizing tone, Bt.
It's not worth it to me to have you flex your power muscle once again....as you did in the NCLB threads.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 11:57:25 PM by Cynthia »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: June 10, 2008, 12:03:39 AM »
What power muscle?