Author Topic: LOST season 4 finale (WARNING: possible spoilers within)  (Read 8426 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: LOST season 4 finale (WARNING: possible spoilers within)
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 11:22:27 AM »
How could a defunct organization, or even one that was simply hidden accomplish that, AND get Hurley on that exact flight? And why?

You shouldn't assume that it was all done by the DHARMA group.

===============================================================
No matter what I assume, how could a lottery ticket number issued many years after the computer password (and other coincidental reoccurences of this long number) be the same? This is against every aspect of the laws of probability.

It seems to me that LOST has "jumped the shark", and is no longer anything that can be taken seriously.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 03:54:27 PM »
Regarding LOST:

During the heyday of the show, I'd check out the forums to get ideas on what could potentially be happening and to review the episodes after watching them.

The show is ground-breaking because it mimics a movie format of opening with the inciting event and throwing the viewer into the thick of things along with the characters.  Very little if anything is revealed to the viewer without it being known by the characters. (For instance, we never see the smoke just hanging out in its lair plotting out how to chase down Mr. Eko.  It just happens.)

Also, the non-linear story-telling is really hard for television audiences who (present company excluded obviously) tend to forget week to week who is whose friend or enemy and who really aren't interested in their adventure shows having some kind of deep meaning. 

The show mixes drama, comedy, mystery, adventure in a sort of fun ride sort of presentation (OMG, look at that giant foot with four toes!) but the writers (for whatever reasons) have steadfastly refused to just hand over answers (I doubt we'll ever see an episode of Benjamin Linus just sitting in front of the cross-legged castaways with their chins on their fists, smiling as he recounts the history of the island from it's four-toed alien founders to the day the Oceaniac 8 returned).

It annoys me that they never finish anything.  It has this sort of spinning out and out like my music professor used to describe Baroque music.  The story is very convoluted.  So much so that the wife and I will have our memories sparked during episodes and one of us will whistfully state, "Aaaawww, remember when we didn't know who Desmond was and he was this wild-eyed guy in the hatch who listened to Mama Cass and rode his exercycle?"

And there are gaping holes and gigantic question marks in the whole story.  What the hell with that statue foot?  Did the computer actually stop the effect that happened when Locke destroyed said computer or was that a co-incidental "moving" of the island?  How did Locke's "father" get to the island?  Just on and on, and I really don't know how they are going to tie all these things up. 

And if they do tie them up, will it satisfy?

There are intangible (so to speak) facets of the show that I love.  I don't care how unlikely the coincidences are, I love it that Desmond saw Charlie playing guitar on the street.  I love it that Jack is Aaron's uncle.  I love that the one chick who was a tailie and was in love with Hurley on the island may have actually been in the boobyhatch with him.

I love the interconnectivity of the show.

Even more, I love the emotional payoffs.  The only one from the season finale a coupleof weeks ago that worked (and not to the level that I think it should have) was the reunion of Desmond and Pinay (I know her name is Penny/Penelope but I love how Desmond says it and so...).  That scene could have been really even more powerful if the director had had Desmond have a complete wild-eyed breakdown then sucked it up and been the "man" that he had been trying to be for Penny.

And the whole thing with Sun and Jin, I just didn't buy.  A) I don't think for a second that he nor Michael are actually dead.  Michael had been shown trying to kill himself before only to see the gun misfire.  So, when Jack's dad appears and says, "You can go now, Michael," I'm thinking that he was magically transported to the island or he was luckily blown into the air whilst holding hands with Jin and they landed on a floating mattress from the boat which was then blown to the island.

My understanding is they filmed several versions of the ending with different people in the coffin at the end.  If they did, it was because they didn't know which of the different threads they were going to weave in.  I doubt it was because they wanted it to be a secret.

Anyhoo, that's my two-cents worth.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
I don't mind complex and convoluted plots. I cannot stand complexity for the sake of complexity.

As far as finishing plot lines, I think B5 did it well. There was one story arc that spanned the 5 years, and several story arcs that spanned two or three seasons, and numerous story arcs that spanned multiple episodes. And, of course, each episode also had it's own plot line.

But you got to see the completion of various plot lines before new ones were started...
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 08:26:52 PM »
The thing I worry about with the long story arcs is that I will not spot the end.

I have this nagging fear that along the way, little things have happened that answer some big question and I just completely missed it.  I worry that something totally unrelated, like a look or a phrase, will somehow explain that the smoke is the combined souls of the people who have died to protect the island in its long existence and I will just look at the wife and say, "what's with that look he just gave her?".  LOL

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 04:36:52 PM »
I'm biased, being very much a fan, but I confess I don't quite get all the nitpicking that goes on with Lost. The show is not perfect, by any means, but by golly the show is brilliant. The story telling has faltered a couple of times, but overall it has averaged a higher level of quality and skill than most television shows.

If there is one thing I have learned from shows like this and Babylon 5 is that even if they do something I don't like right off, if I trust the people who brought me this far, usually the pay off is well worth it. And with Lost, we know they are starting wrap things up. We even have some idea how many hours of storytelling are left. It's been a good ride so far, and I just can't say enough about a show with the power to keep me guessing. Lost makes bold moves, and I won't say I'm without concern that the wrap up won't be satisfying, but the Lost folks have made the show a damn good ride so far, and I want to know how it ends.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 04:39:42 PM »
concur 100%, Prince
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 06:55:08 PM »
oh yeah babylon5
it was slow going for me
but I stuck it out and at the 5th season almost every episode refers to the past seasons
me and my nephew were going crazy trying to recall past scene to the show.
not the one
not the one
3 years later it finally made sense.
damn thats cruel

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 10:48:44 PM »
not the one
not the one
3 years later it finally made sense.
damn thats cruel

Actually, the one that got me was the use of alien healing device that was used in what looked like a mostly filler episode in season one of B5. And then it got used later to save Ivanova, and holy crap if that didn't just tear me right up inside. Excellent story telling.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 11:11:13 PM »
Actually, the one that got me was the use of alien healing device that was used in what looked like a mostly filler episode in season one of B5. And then it got used later to save Ivanova, and holy crap if that didn't just tear me right up inside. Excellent story telling.

The other part of that original episode ("The Quality of Mercy") was the introduction of the ability of Minbari to lie in order to save face, which also became important later on. Also, we're introduced to mind wiping ("death of personality") as a punishment, which is also used later on in the series. And the humor part of that episode, also referenced several times later on, was the discussion about male Centauri genitalia.

Oh yeah, Garibaldi was also saved by the alien healing machine in season 2.

There are lots of interconnected points between episodes.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 04:16:43 AM »
I remember that
june lockhart(lost in space) was in it.
I may have to do a marathon session now
I`m glad netflix has them(last time i checked)
does anybody knows what happened after crusade?
did they finally find a cure?
or is that story still in limbo?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 08:32:34 AM »
did they finally find a cure?
or is that story still in limbo?

They had to have. One of the last B5 episodes was set 20+ years later on Earth. As were two of the movies.