Author Topic: LOST season 4 finale (WARNING: possible spoilers within)  (Read 8421 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
LOST season 4 finale (WARNING: possible spoilers within)
« on: May 30, 2008, 06:10:59 PM »
So now we know who was in the coffin. But the big issue, that I have not seen anyone talk about, is what happened to the island. The orientation video spoke of the vault being used to make the rabbit time travel, and the implication is that whatever is behind the vault powers this effect in some fashion. So did the island move in space? Or just time?

Another question I have is about Sun. What is her agenda? Is she out to get Widmore or Ben? I guess it depends on who is the other person, besides her father, she blames for Jin's death.

What isn't make a lot of sense to me is if John Locke is the chosen man, why does Jack and pals leaving the island make everything on the island go bad? If I were to get all geeky about it I guess I would ask, why does the island want/need Jack? And if it really wants/needs him so badly, then why didn't it tell him so before he left?

Lastly, is the resurrected Christian Shepherd the devil? Or some form of evil? He claims to speak on Jacob's behalf, but does he? More importantly, what has he done to Claire? How did he convince Claire to leave her child behind? I'm guessing that what goes wrong on the island after Jack leaves has something to do with this specter of Christian Shepherd.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: LOST season 4 finale (WARNING: possible spoilers within)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 04:09:53 PM »
I know some of you watch this show. Come on. Thoughts? Theories?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 05:27:08 PM »
More so.....questions

What did Sawyer say to Kate in the helicopter?

Are Juliette and Sawyer, and "the others" still on the island?

How did Locke get back to the mainland and how did he die?

Is Jin really dead?  Claire?

Who does Sun believe is the 2nd person responsible for Jin's "death"?

Many many more, but 1st and foremost WHERE THE HELL DID THE ISLAND GO?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 06:56:24 PM »
Lost was once interesting to me, but the plot became murkier and murkier, sort of like the X Files, and stuff that is supposed to be related grew more and more confusing. Part of this was due to the writer's strike and constant reruns, and part of it seems to be a deliberate attempt of the writers to confuse the audience.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

fatman

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 08:24:55 PM »
I thought that they were going to push Hugo out of the helicopter, and I was wondering how he was going to be able to swim to the island.  My friends and I have (I think I've mentioned this before) instituted a "Hurley Watch" to see how much bigger he gets before he gets off of the island.

The series finale was pretty good, I'm glad it wasn't a tearjerker like the finale of House.  Now that House and Lost are over, and Jericho is canceled, I don't know what the hell to watch (Ax Men is over too).

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 12:20:05 AM »
There's always Men in Trees         ;D
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 05:25:14 AM »

Now that House and Lost are over, and Jericho is canceled, I don't know what the hell to watch (Ax Men is over too).

Well, BSG has a few episodes left before hiatus. I've taken to watching Top Gear on BBC America. Robin Hood on BBC America isn't bad. SciFi has the most recent episodes of Doctor Who, and so far this season is better than the previous one. If you're at all interested in old movies, TCM has two noteworthy film festivals going on this month. One is films with Asian characters on Tuesday and Thursday nights and the other is Sophia Loren movies on Wednesday nights. There is, on TCM, a night of Leslie Caron films on June 7, a night of Walter Matthau movies on June 14, and also a night of male ensemble action films on June 21, which consists of Seven Samurai, The Professionals and The Dirty Dozen.

Anyway, back to Lost.

I feel certain that Jin is still alive. My guess is he would have been picked up by the boat Daniel was taking out to the freighter. Whether they got back to the island before it moved is another issue altogether.

Claire is, I think, not dead, but something ungood has happened to her.

Yes, everyone that was on the island when it was moved is still on it, except of course for Ben, and we know what happened to him.

The rumors are that what Sawyer said to Kate had something to do with his child, and that was, of course, what Kate was unable to tell Jack about.

Where the island went may not be as important as when. We are dealing with time travel in this show, after all.

I have to say, I don't find Lost confusing at all. Still a puzzle, yes, but that is because we don't have all the information yet. But confusing, no. But then I did not understand why so many people thought the first Mission: Impossible movie was difficult to follow either.

fatman

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
My friend told me that last Friday, there were two alternate endings that aired on Good Morning America.  One had Sawyer in the coffin (who I thought it was) and one was a total stranger.   I don't know if this comes into play or not but I thought it was interesting.

I still can't figure out Hurley's numbers.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 07:52:22 PM »
I watched the whole season and want to watch the whole series from beginning to end and make a map of the whole show but I am soooooo worn out with the whole thing just opening more and more questions rather than clearing things up altogether or even partially.

I miss the numbers and hidden messages and stuff. 

There is going to have to be a massive payoff at the end of this thing in order for me to feel like it was worth it.  And it better not be "magic".

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
There is going to have to be a massive payoff at the end of this thing in order for me to feel like it was worth it.  And it better not be "magic".

============================
It seems to me that the writers have written themselves into a corner: there is no logical way out.
How could the weird difficulties in locating the island, the time differentials and the menacing homicidal black could be anything but magic?

Like the X-files, there is no cohesion. But with the X-files, there was no real need for cohesion, as each episode worked as an independent plot. With LOST, we are supposed to remember that John is missing a kidney because of this, that Hurley is cursed with good fortune because of that, and that Ben is weird as hell because of something else. In a word, we are lost and the writers of LOST are to blame for this.

I do not enjoy confusion in my life, and do not find it amusing or entertaining.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 11:48:01 AM »
How could the weird difficulties in locating the island, the time differentials and the menacing homicidal black could be anything but magic?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke, Third Law of Prediction.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 03:27:38 PM »

In a word, we are lost and the writers of LOST are to blame for this.

But there is a map. Lostpedia.com. Actually, I don't find Lost confusing. Puzzling, yes. And there are certain items of information that would be helpful in understanding what is going on. But the puzzle is half the fun of the show.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 08:43:25 PM »
The puzzle would be half the fun if there were not way too many characters and the clues were things one could reason out. How, for example, are the number sequence and Hurley's lottery ticket number related. How could a defunct organization, or even one that was simply hidden accomplish that, AND get Hurley on that exact flight? And why?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 11:04:20 PM »

How, for example, are the number sequence and Hurley's lottery ticket number related.

They haven't explained that yet. They may not. I'm more interested in finding out about the four toed statue.

How could a defunct organization, or even one that was simply hidden accomplish that, AND get Hurley on that exact flight? And why?

You shouldn't assume that it was all done by the DHARMA group.

Cynthia

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 02:54:11 AM »
Lost was once interesting to me, but the plot became murkier and murkier, sort of like the X Files, and stuff that is supposed to be related grew more and more confusing. Part of this was due to the writer's strike and constant reruns, and part of it seems to be a deliberate attempt of the writers to confuse the audience.

Or part of it is because the writers can't get out of the Muck/Murk.

This show is bordering on "Da' Plane" Island of the 70's imo.

Sexy men ..yep you bet. But plot lines? Confusing, for certain.