Author Topic: Pfaugh!  (Read 9092 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pfaugh!
« on: June 17, 2008, 05:54:31 PM »
   I am perplexed .

Once again Rich has left the building.

I don't want to controll the debate  or controll the members .

But I do want a broud spectrum of members and acceptable civility.

Are my aims incompatable with each other?

Am I being obtuse about something that I could do better?

fatman

Re: Pfaugh!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 06:01:01 PM »
   I am perplexed .

Once again Rich has left the building.

I don't want to controll the debate  or controll the members .

But I do want a broud spectrum of members and acceptable civility.

Are my aims incompatable with each other?

Am I being obtuse about something that I could do better?

You're doing fine Plane, and your aims are not incompatible.  People with emotions are going to devolve occasionally, I think most people understand and accept that.  The problem is when it becomes an ongoing issue.  That is when it should be dealt with.

I was looking forward to finishing my debate with Rich, FWIW.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 06:22:27 PM »
Rich can dish it out but he can't take it.  It's too bad because I was enjoying my exchanges with him as well.  The good news is, he'll be back - - eventually.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 06:27:04 PM »
If Tee can come back........      ;)     
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 06:33:25 PM »
damn!!!

I really wanted to him to respond on my statement on transdenders

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 06:36:13 PM »
Transdenders?  Is that a new kind of transmission?      ;D

J/K
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 06:41:41 PM »
lol!!!

just in case

I meant transgender
I stated for some reason that heterosexual men like transgender men.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 07:08:01 PM »
Thank you , but Ritch has a point .

I mentioned him .

I have never tried to reign in the left , how could I?

I engague in the debate , mostly for the right , so what would my chastisement of the left look like?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 07:39:40 PM by Plane »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 11:25:09 PM »
Richie has not had an original point in years. He only posts crap he found elsewhere and offers hate and insults to anyone who disagrees with him.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 12:50:31 AM »
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 07:21:10 PM »
Richie has not had an original point in years. He only posts crap he found elsewhere and offers hate and insults to anyone who disagrees with him.

You realize , that I seldom disagreed with him politically.

I didn't want him gone , I don't want anyone gone, we have achieved a pretty good group , but it is too small to give up its fringe elements without an impact on the veracity of the sample. 

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 07:42:29 PM »
I hardly think we have seen the last of Richie. But he contributed very, very little of value.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 10:28:09 PM »
<<I hardly think we have seen the last of Richie. But he contributed very, very little of value.>>

On the contrary, and in all seriousness, he made an enormous contribution, as a gadfly.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 11:40:13 PM »
A statistical sample is mor dependable if it is larger.

A microcosim can represent the cosmos if it isn't refined and sifted , but is a representation in its sampling of the whole.

Reduce the sample and the sample is more prone to error.

Shift tha sample , removeing a type , and the error is garrunteed.

Whether Rich was telling you the truth or not is not my point.

Originality is also beside the point we have never required it.

What we loose when we loose even the least of us is the truth of the debate , not the objective truth which we may never find anyway , but the truth of reading the nation , the world with a fair and true process.

http://securingamerica.com/ccn/node/10113
http://www.authentichistory.com/1950s/speeches/19481103_Thomas_Dewey_Concedes_Election.html

Do any of us remember the story behind " Dewey Defeats Trueman"?

The Editors and reporters of the Chicago Tribune were shocked and heard to exclaim , "Nobody I know was going to vote for Trueman".

How do we insulate ourselves from knowing the other side of the story , and how do we ensure that we will not know the whole story ?

By accepting only the truth we know .

fatman

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 11:49:27 AM »

You realize , that I seldom disagreed with him politically.

I didn't want him gone , I don't want anyone gone, we have achieved a pretty good group , but it is too small to give up its fringe elements without an impact on the veracity of the sample. 

I realize that Plane, and I (think) that I understand your reasoning for it.  My issue with Rich was never his politics, there are some aspects to conservativism that I'm in agreement with, and there are conservatives here that while I don't agree with them, I can respect as people, such as you and sirs and a few others.  My issue with Rich was personality, and the inability to separate the political from the personal.  There are some on the left in here that I really disagree with, but I've yet to endure a personal attack from one of them.  And yes, I realize that a couple of them have come pretty close to the line that Rich crossed, but I haven't seen any of them cross that line as systematically and with such blatant disregard to other people as he felt compelled to do.  If they had, I'd be calling for their removal as well.

With all of that said, I hope that he doesn't come back (a futile hope, but a hope nonetheless).  His political beliefs aside, the behavior is predictable - fine for a couple of weeks, then the personal assaults make a comeback, and this forum devolves into the ensuing lunacy.  I think that the points of view that he adds should be balanced against the civility that he detracts from (and yes, I know that this isn't a one way street), and to me, if that were tallied he'd be in the red.  Further, if I were a conservative (which like I said, I like some aspects of conservatism, but I'm definitely not a conservative, nor a liberal for that matter), I'd cringe every time he sat at the keyboard.  The kind and form of rhetoric that he engages in is not only non-objective, it's generally insulting and off-putting.  That's not who I'd want for the poster boy of my political beliefs.  Most people, I think, are intelligent and objective enough to see it for what it is, but there are a lot of "guests" that hit this board too, and maybe they aren't (or are and I'm just being cynical).

In the end Plane I believe that you made the right call.  I don't applaud the removal of other members here, but there comes a time when certain people need to be dealt with - that time is usually in regard to a breakdown in civility that detracts from the ability of other members to enjoy their engagement here.  I'm not a moderator and have no wish to be one, and I normally respect the decisions that moderators make, because that's your job, not mine.  It's easy to be an armchair general, it's harder to make the actual call.  Your attention to the matter at hand, your resolution to it, and your call for the other parties involved to take a look at their own actions, is greatly valued and appreciated Plane.