Author Topic: I wonder if the country will ever get a clue  (Read 4599 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I wonder if the country will ever get a clue
« on: September 29, 2008, 11:44:11 PM »
This now now now society, where there's a valid 2:1 ratio of the population that opposes the current bail-out plan, yet, still will blame DC for not doing.....something to fix it, when, with all due respect to the electorate, The Government is just as much, if not more to blame than anyone else. 

Yet, that said, IIRC, in 2004 the GOP made numerous concerns regarding Fannie Mae & Freddy Mac, citing numerous problems in lack of appropriate & substantive oversight, with McCain even sponsoring legisation for reform, in 2005.  Yet Democrats at the time, including messers Dodd, Waters, Frank, etc., all when in record claiming all was just peachy with Fanny, nothing to see here, just some witch hunt by the GOP...move along.  Dodd & Obama in the top 3 for campaign donations from Fanny Mae.  Obama's economic consultants/advisors formerly from Fanny Mae.

If they did sound a warning whistle in 2004, the GOP was in the majority, and should have been able to pass some for of reform....unless of course there was major obstruction imposed by the left.....and Senator Dodd in particular.  I wouldn't be surprised.  Still, it's an abomination that should have never been allowed to get this far.  Yet "Congress coming to the rescue" is likely to perpetuate the problem, much like it did during the Great Depression.  Will the electorate get a clue?  Not if the MSM have their way, and American Idol remains the glue to everyone's attention span
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 04:03:12 AM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

fatman

Re: I wonder if the country will ever get a clue
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:09:15 AM »
Will the electorate get a clue?  Not if the MSM have their way, and American Idol remains the glue to everyone's attention span

Couldn't have said it better myself, and it applies to more than the bailout, but to a lot of other things that go on in govt as well.  I asked a younger co-worker today (he's 20) if he planned to vote.  He said no, because he'd have to bone up on the issues to make a good decision.

I see I have my work cut out for me to get him to vote (not who to vote for, but just to vote period).  At least he isn't the type to vote for someone uninformed, which seems to be a lot of the electorate.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 01:39:22 AM »
I see I have my work cut out for me to get him to vote (not who to vote for, but just to vote period).  At least he isn't the type to vote for someone uninformed, which seems to be a lot of the electorate.

Here here.  So true, I'm afraid      :-\
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 06:56:19 AM »
Will the electorate get a clue?  Not if the MSM have their way, and American Idol remains the glue to everyone's attention span

Not likely. The electorates - and the elites, of most western nations appear to have taken it into their heads that nature can be thwarted by legislative fiat. I doubt that this notion will be disabused by anything short of catastrophic failure, if even then.

The MSM isn't the problem. The MSM is merely a symptom of the problem.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 10:32:18 AM »
Not likely. The electorates - and the elites, of most western nations appear to have taken it into their heads that nature can be thwarted by legislative fiat. I doubt that this notion will be disabused by anything short of catastrophic failure, if even then.

How do you suppose it is that Denmark works so well and that Danes are the happiest people on the planet?
They have abolished homelessness, malnutrition and poverty for damn near everyone. Mostly through legislation. Part of the reason is that nearly everyone there is a Dane, but still...
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 04:05:41 PM »

How do you suppose it is that Denmark works so well and that Danes are the happiest people on the planet?
They have abolished homelessness, malnutrition and poverty for damn near everyone. Mostly through legislation. Part of the reason is that nearly everyone there is a Dane, but still...

You think that resegregation would solve some problems?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 05:14:35 PM »

It might, but it would cause vastly more problems.

The thing about Danes is that they agree politically on most important issues. I don't think race would be an issue if everyone has the same basic views.

I find it interesting that you would suggest that segregation would make the US more like Denmark. Changes in attitudes would surely do more.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 07:50:59 PM »

It might, but it would cause vastly more problems.

The thing about Danes is that they agree politically on most important issues. I don't think race would be an issue if everyone has the same basic views.

I find it interesting that you would suggest that segregation would make the US more like Denmark. Changes in attitudes would surely do more.

I thought that was your suggestion.

I agree that attitude is more important , but our politics seem to still be kinda segregated with some minorities apparently tied to a party affiliation at birth.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 08:14:04 PM »
I agree that attitude is more important , but our politics seem to still be kinda segregated with some minorities apparently tied to a party affiliation at birth.
===============================================
I do not know but what this may be true of Danes as well. But nearly all Danes agree that abolishing poverty, universal health care, and universal education are desirable goals for everyone. Americans tend to think that all efforts to abolish poverty will result in laziness, they resent having to pay for the wellness of their more unfortunate citizens who have been born sickly, and they see no reason why they should invest in anti-alcoholism, anti-smoking, and proper nutritional education, decent public transportation, both urban and intercity.

In 1945 Denmark was poor, suffering from five years of Nazi occupation and war. They were LOTS poorer than the US. Denmark has many fewer natural resources than the US.  Since then, they have become the happiest people on the planet. There is obviously much we could learn from the Danes, yet there does not seem to be any interest in adopting what programs we could adopt to improve the quality of life in the US in the way that Denmark has done.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 08:16:43 PM »
===============================================
I do not know but what this may be true of Danes as well. But nearly all Danes agree that abolishing poverty, universal health care, and universal education are desirable goals for everyone. Americans tend to think that all efforts to abolish poverty will result in laziness, they resent having to pay for the wellness of their more unfortunate citizens who have been born sickly, and they see no reason why they should invest in anti-alcoholism, anti-smoking, and proper nutritional education, decent public transportation, both urban and intercity.

In 1945 Denmark was poor, suffering from five years of Nazi occupation and war. They were LOTS poorer than the US. Denmark has many fewer natural resources than the US.  Since then, they have become the happiest people on the planet. There is obviously much we could learn from the Danes, yet there does not seem to be any interest in adopting what programs we could adopt to improve the quality of life in the US in the way that Denmark has done.

Could Europe reinvent the Marshall plan and point it our way?

This would be a good time .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 08:28:22 PM »
Could Europe reinvent the Marshall plan and point it our way?

This would be a good time .

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Yeah, sure. Remember all those black Belgian helicopters that were here to take over the country when Clinton was president? Rush and the rest of the rightwing radio jocks would not shut up about them, even though it seems that they did not actually exist.

The Marshall Plan was followed by major CIA meddling in elections in France and Italy and minor meddling in other places.

I doubt that this would go over with the rightwingers here.

Americans need to find their own solutions, but they can find solutions to many problems in other countries like those of Europe and several other places: NZ, Australia, Costa Rica, Uruguay

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Yeah, sure. Remember all those black Belgian helicopters that were here to take over the country when Clinton was president? Rush and the rest of the rightwing radio jocks would not shut up about them,.....

I really get the feeling that as little as I listen to Rush Limbaugh , you listen to him even less.
This is a very poor caricterisation of Rush , have you an example of his carrying on about black helicopters?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 08:40:32 PM »
Yea, what the hell are you talking about now Xo?  What may be obvious to you, is hardly so to the rest of the rational world......or even those few who listen to Rush

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 11:37:10 PM »
I really get the feeling that as little as I listen to Rush Limbaugh , you listen to him even less.
This is a very poor caricterisation of Rush , have you an example of his carrying on about black helicopters?

About ten years ago, that is what Rush was ranting about.

When Juniorbush was selected, the Belgian Black Helicopter menace vanished.

I did not record his show then, I do not listen to it more than sporatically now, because he is an idiot, and I already have sufficient exposure to idiocy.

richpo64

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 11:54:09 PM »
>> I already have sufficient exposure to idiocy.<<

Have you considered getting rid of all your mirrors?