Author Topic: Unpopular decisions are the price of constitutional rights.  (Read 27733 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Unpopular decisions are the price of constitutional rights.
« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2008, 12:02:53 PM »
The wife of Jacobs grandfather is mentioned that isn't marrage?

Criminy. One more time, Plane...

"My point is that the word 'marriage' is not used in the Bible until Jacob's time. It's not used to describe the relationship between Adam and Eve, or anyone else, until then."

Adam and Eve had a hetrosexual monomous excluseive sexual relationship and raised children together , what part of marrage is left out of this?

Several couples who are friends of mine have the same arrangement, without the 'benefit' of being married.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 12:27:12 PM by hnumpah »
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2008, 12:07:02 PM »
In fact I very seriously doubt that the word "marriage" is ever mentioned in the Bible, since it was written in Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic and "marriage" is an English word.  Yours is a silly, semantical argument.

Say what? I looked at several translations for the word 'marriage', translated from the original texts, and it is not mentioned in any language until the time of Jacob. So Poochie, English word or not, in any language, it ain't there. As for silly, want to hear my opinion of the latter day 'discovery' of religious texts? You'll love that one.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2008, 12:26:43 PM »
That marriage (or whatever Hebrew word was translated that way) is not mentioned until Jacob does not, in any rational way, indicate that Abraham and Sarah were not married.

Now you're back to reason. I never said they weren't what we would consider 'married'; my point is that claiming some religious protection for the term 'marriage', as though it is somehow sacred, is a crock of, well, you know.

Clearly, though the term itself may not be used from page 1, marriage was the intention of God and the practice of society right from the start.

Strike the 'intention of God' bit - not everyone believes in such a being. You are left with society, and different societies have different practices. Some do not practice any sort of 'marriage' at all, some do not see homosexuality as any sort of 'sin'; all you are left with is modern western society and those similar to it. So even that argument is specious at best.

Sexual relations outside of those bonds is universally recognized as inappropriate.

See above about other cultures.

It is clearly prohibited in Mosiac law (Exodus 20:14).  Christ took it a step further and made even THINKING about it a sin (Matt 5:27-28). 

Which only matters to Jews (Mosaic law) or Christians, and those influenced by them.

The fact that there is no specific verse which says "thou shalt not call two guys gittin' it on marriage" proves nothing.

There you're wrong. 'Thou shalt not steal' is a definite prohibition against theft. 'Thou shalt not bear false witness' is a definite prohibition against lying. There is no definite prohibition against calling a same sex union a marriage. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Since there is no definite prohibition of the act, what is to prevent it?

No it doesn't.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2008, 06:18:17 PM »
In fact I very seriously doubt that the word "marriage" is ever mentioned in the Bible, since it was written in Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic and "marriage" is an English word.  Yours is a silly, semantical argument.

Say what? I looked at several translations for the word 'marriage', translated from the original texts, and it is not mentioned in any language until the time of Jacob. So Poochie, English word or not, in any language, it ain't there. As for silly, want to hear my opinion of the latter day 'discovery' of religious texts? You'll love that one.

Sure go ahead.  It wouldn't bother me.  I have heard all of the arguments.  It would be a serious act of intellectual cowardice, but if that's how you defend a poor argument, have at it.  It will be as pointless as your insisting that marriage as a word does not appear in the Bible until the time of Jacob. Are you seriously suggesting that marriage didn't exist until Israel?  That's ridiculous. Sarah and Abraham were married.  Adam and Eve were married. Just because the word marriage isn't used (assuming that this is so - and I'll take your word for it) does not mean anything at all. 
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2008, 06:55:56 PM »
Now you're back to reason. I never said they weren't what we would consider 'married'; my point is that claiming some religious protection for the term 'marriage', as though it is somehow sacred, is a crock of, well, you know. . . .Strike the 'intention of God' bit - not everyone believes in such a being. You are left with society, and different societies have different practices. Some do not practice any sort of 'marriage' at all, some do not see homosexuality as any sort of 'sin'; all you are left with is modern western society and those similar to it. So even that argument is specious at best.

No it isn't.  Your argument, as I understand it, is that Christians are wrong to insist on protecting the word "marriage."  That's your opinion, but it is not based on reason.  It is perfectly logical for me to insist on protecting the institution of marriage as a sacred rite - whether someone else believes as I do or not.  Whether there is a specific prohibition on the use of that word in the Bible (or Latter Day Scripture, since you bring it up) is irrelevent. 

<<Which only matters to Jews (Mosaic law) or Christians, and those influenced by them.>>

Who, in turn, are the ones making the argument, which therefore renders your logic circular and pointless.  I get that gays disagree with me.  I'm on board with the concept. 

<<There you're wrong. 'Thou shalt not steal' is a definite prohibition against theft. 'Thou shalt not bear false witness' is a definite prohibition against lying. There is no definite prohibition against calling a same sex union a marriage. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Since there is no definite prohibition of the act, what is to prevent it?>>

I'm not wrong, you are making a strawman argument.  There is no specific prohibition against speeding or drunk driving either.  Are you arguing that such things are OK according to the bible?  Your argument is not even relevent to the issue.

I think you misunderstand the position that Christians like myself take.  (And I speak here, of course, only for me.)  The issue is not whether God, the Bible, or our church leaders prohibit the word "marriage " from use.  We are not concerned about the word, but about the institution. 
I do NOT in any way approve of homosexual behavior.  I do not approve of gays getting "civil unions" either.  All of these things are wrong to me.  I do, however, recognize the nature of American society and government.  Since there are perfectly valid arguments for allowing gay people to do whatever they please I am willing to COMPROMISE by accepting and legally honoring a social contract which gives them all of the LEGAL RIGHTS afforded a married couple.  UNDER US LAW gays should get equal treatment.  Under God's law, however, that is not the case.  God made that one up, not James Madison, John Marshal or Barak Obama.  MARRIAGE IS NOT A CIVIL RIGHT.  Free association is.  Gays have no right to be accepted any more than Mormons do.  Gays do NOT have a right to be married any more than they have to be baptized, receive communion or be ordained to the priesthood.  There is absolutely NO right, under any law including God's, to receive a sacrament without being worthy of it.  Morally that is the province of God and legally it is the province of the church.   Most churches deny communion to non-members.  As a Latter Day Saint, I would never walk into a Catholic Church and expect to take communion.  I could not, as a Latter Day Saint, become a Baptist preacher.  But if Baptists get to vote, so should Mormons.  If Methodists can build a church in my neighborhood, Catholics should have that same right.

The crux of the COMPROMISE Christian-American argument accepting the possibility of civil union (whether for gays alone or for everybody) is that, while people should have equal rights under US law, ecclesiastical law is completely different, has the right to discriminate and is NOT subject to courts, legislatures or popular opinion.  We also claim, and intend to continue to exercise, the right to express our opinions, vote our conscience and try to mold a society that conforms to our standards.  Gays, atheists, Wiccans and Libertarians have exactly the same right, and if more people agree with them than with me, I have to live with the consequence.  I will, however, strive to win the issue or go down fighting, just as I expect the other side to do.

So your argument about the word "marriage" in the Bible is a non-issue.  It doesn't mean a thing.  Many Christians will, and probably should, take a hard line against ANY officially sanctioned homosexual union.  But if there must be accomodation made for gays, there is room for compromise on this issue.  Gays who insist that "marriage" must be allowed rather than just civil unions, wish to style the mainstream as extreme in this issue. But it is they who are in fact the extremists.   With the Vermont ruling that makes civil unions unconstitutional, there is yet more reason to see the sense to removing the religious issue entirely by making ALL marriages civil unions under the law.  Those who disapprove of gays getting the same LEGAL rights as Heterosexuals will just have to deal with it.  I also object to businesses being open on Sundays, but I'm not going to get much headway on that issue.  But gays who insist that they have the same right to ecclesiastical benefits as straights are going to have to take it up with God, or at least their church.  If the God Loves Gays Universal Church of Really Really Close Brotherhood wants to marry gays and the Baptists don't - the government has no business interfering with either.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2008, 07:16:47 PM »
Why cannot Christians distinguish between CIVIL MARRIAGE that may include gays, and CHURCH (holy or sacred) MARRIAGE that woud be whatever their church demanded?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2008, 07:24:01 PM »
Why cannot Christians distinguish between CIVIL MARRIAGE that may include gays, and CHURCH (holy or sacred) MARRIAGE that woud be whatever their church demanded?

I think we do.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2008, 05:46:16 AM »
Are you seriously suggesting that marriage didn't exist until Israel?

Have you been reading the thread, or just a Johnny-come-lately?

My original question was for anyone to provide a chapter and verse in the Bible that defines marriage as only between a man and a woman. No one has been able to do so. My point about marriage first being mentioned around the time of Jacob was a response to your claim that it was established as the norm at creation. As I read it, Adam and Eve were naked at creation, and remained so until they violated God's rules and saw that their nudity was somehow shameful. (This brings up a side point about nudity being a true norm established at creation, but...) There is no mention that they were married, or ever intended to be married. In fact, as I said, there is no mention of marriage at all until the time of Jacob. If it was such a norm since the time of creation, why is there no mention of it until then, and no commandment anywhere that marriage is only to be between a man and a woman? I'm not saying that Adam and Eve, or Abraham and Sarah, or any of the figures from the old testament weren't living in a state we would consider marriage, and might even have been called marriage by whatever name they called it; I am saying that if it was so important that marriage were only to be between a man and a woman, why is there no mention of this anywhere in the Bible? I mean, it's detailed enough to proscribe eating shellfish, why not same sex marriage?

You can call me silly, or call it a poor argument, or throw whatever you want at it, but none of that serves to disprove it.

We are not concerned about the word, but about the institution.

Then why so much fuss over a word? THAT's the point.

If the God Loves Gays Universal Church of Really Really Close Brotherhood wants to marry gays and the Baptists don't - the government has no business interfering with either.

Ibid.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2008, 07:50:34 AM »
We are not concerned about the word, but about the institution.

So what if we rename heterosexual marriages "Bob", and homosexual marriages "Dave", and stop using the word marriage completely?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2008, 02:19:34 PM »
I'm guessing that you, as a single individual, don't have the authority or power to enact such legislation.  That is the proper response, no?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2008, 05:51:48 PM »
I'm guessing that you, as a single individual, don't have the authority or power to enact such legislation.  That is the proper response, no?

=============
No, I tend to respond that way when someone tells me what I should do, as opposed to what I should think.

I am all for legislation that would permit gay couples to have the same rights and benefits of married heterosexual couples this could be called marriage or civil union. I doubt that I will ever be given a chance to vote on it, though.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2008, 06:01:59 PM »
=============
No, I tend to respond that way when someone tells me what I should do, as opposed to what I should think.

And who's telling you what to think?, what to do?  Hell, your vote only counts as 1 among millions.  Yet you're the one telling others what kind of car they're to have, and screw what anyone wants.  Xo knows better

I am all for legislation that would permit gay couples to have the same rights and benefits of married heterosexual couples this could be called marriage or civil union. I doubt that I will ever be given a chance to vote on it, though.

Well that's a good thing then I suppose, since your 1 vote wouldn't amount to anything, anyways, right?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2008, 08:06:02 PM »
And who's telling you what to think?, what to do?  Hell, your vote only counts as 1 among millions.  Yet you're the one telling others what kind of car they're to have, and screw what anyone wants.  Xo knows better
==================================================
I would imagine that there are millions who agree with me, and found out the hard way that a 12mpg Excursion is not a viable choice when gasoline hits $4.00 a gallon.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2008, 08:55:32 PM »
Agree is one thing.  Demand is entirely another.  What YOU deem someone else needs or should have is irrelevent.  Freedom includes the freedom to make bad decisions, even idiotic ones

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2008, 09:56:50 PM »
Agree is one thing.  Demand is entirely another.  What YOU deem someone else needs or should have is irrelevent.  Freedom includes the freedom to make bad decisions, even idiotic ones

=================
When did I DEMAND that anyone not drive gas guzzling SUVs and trucks?

I simply said that it was stupid for Detroit to advertise the fool things as they did.

Freedom might actually include my right to point out that the people who peddled these things and those who bought them were idiots.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 10:09:33 PM by Xavier_Onassis »