Author Topic: California judge says no to homeschooling  (Read 122008 times)

Cynthia

Re: California judge says no to homeschooling
« Reply #420 on: April 02, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »
Wow. Third-graders??

Go figure, Lany :(

Cynthia

« Reply #421 on: April 04, 2008, 08:49:41 PM »
http://www.koat.com/video_legacy/15200144/index.html

http://www.koat.com/video_legacy/15258522/index.html

These students have embraced Science with all their passion.

It's a shame that the NCLB is encouraging that schools back down from teaching science.

Public School science students rock.

I have to give kudos to the Koat News for such a segment each Friday.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #422 on: April 04, 2008, 09:17:26 PM »
It's a shame that the NCLB is encouraging that schools back down from teaching science.

How do you know this to be true, Cynthia?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #423 on: April 04, 2008, 09:30:12 PM »
Given the clarity that you, Ami, and Prince have provided Bt, regarding what NCLB does mandate, and how the States are allowed to do whatever it is they deem they need to do, I was wondering the same thing
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Cynthia

« Reply #424 on: April 05, 2008, 12:58:56 AM »
Given the clarity that you, Ami, and Prince have provided Bt, regarding what NCLB does mandate, and how the States are allowed to do whatever it is they deem they need to do, I was wondering the same thing

Ok, guys, let me start over.

I sort of planted that statement in order to prove a point.

My point is a question.

Is the NCLB act truly at the heart of what has changed in this nation in terms of education, or is it truly the State's call?

If you look at the NCLB ACT, do you read anything that offers suggestions of how to teach a given subject(s)in order that all children make progress in all areas of academia?

Do you read anywhere in the act where teachers are encouraged to teach a child according to their expertise and training in how a child learns?
No, you see none of that.

As the State's responsibility, eventually you will read that there are mandates to use scripted, hot off the presses programs published by huge companies such as Houghton Mifflin and Harcourt Brace on the forefront that has come to be known as research based programs. These are our new college courses. . .our newest form of training.

Do you read anywhere in the act where the focus is on a well rounded education for all? No. Nor do you read anything about curriculum, per say. You read....rulings. expectations. What else is new? There have been expectations since the dawn of time in education.

You read that States must see to it that we see to it that kids can READ..and that's about it..oh and construct math. Nothing wrong with either.

Now, while I do not disagree with Ami's assessment of the NCLB act in scope, and detailing...I do wonder if anyone knows what it is like to have to teach a child to read NOW or yesterday. No in between.

I am here to ask you all .....have you been in a classroom setting in a public school in the last ten years?
The last five years?
The last one year?

I have seen so much in my years of teaching.

And only recently, have I seen that bi-lingual education has been taken AWAY from our own district in order to make sure we are not put on probation for not teaching every child to read!! period.

I have seen that science, social studies and art, music are no longer a part of OUR curriculum. I have read about many districts across the country that are in fear of losing critical subject areas of the curriculum.

I have a fear. I have a concern.

IS it the NCLB act?
Probably not, in the end.

But, who's at fault for this?

If you think it is it the individual State's problem, then WHY?

When did the individual states decide to stop teaching such areas of curriculum just to satisfy the NCLB act?

Ironically, since those restrictions have been put into place, there are fewer quality areas of curriculum being taught in the public schools, sad to say.
So, I really don't care if the debate ends up with the NCLB act being the good guy in all of this. I agree that we must never let a child be lost behind...left without care....kept from his/her right to learn IT ALL.

But, something is wrong. IF it is the State's problem, then that's a shame. I don't care. I'll fight for the child.

But, who is the parent in all of this mandate?

Is it the NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND act?

Ami is a very, very intelligent man, btw. I will listen to him any day of the week. I trust him that much.

I want to know more. I want to know why?

Why can't we fix this problem?

AS I go back to work on Monday, and I am so excited to do so.....I will be on the front lines of a battle that is education. I will touch lives, educate to the best of my ability, and I will wonder what will be taken away from my students next?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 01:32:43 AM by Cynthia »

Cynthia

« Reply #425 on: April 05, 2008, 02:03:42 PM »
This is what I have been trying to say all along.

"Too much focus on a narrow curriculum
NCLB's focus on just math and reading scores could have a profoundly undemocratic effect upon a generation of students in poorly performing schools, as schools may strip away much of the broad education that is their birthright in order to elevate scores on just two indicators.
Students in affluent schools with good scores may continue to enjoy a full range of subjects including art, social studies and science, while disadvantaged students are condemned to a second class education putting "Reading First" at the expense of a complete education. This preoccupation with LITERACY over all else sets up an increasingly two class society, with one group condemned to a lean diet of basic skills and the other getting the more complete diet associated with power and success in this society.
The goal of elevating the performance of all students is laudable, but the change in performance must be across the board on all subject areas.
In this respect, NCLB poses a major threat to states that have elected to test student performance in all areas, as those states will get no credit under NCLB for improvements made in other subject areas and they will soon feel the pressure to narrow their focus."

http://nochildleft.com/2003/jancov03.html

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #426 on: April 05, 2008, 02:55:55 PM »
Here's an interesting one for you, Cynthia, http://www.nctaf.org/. The site was recommended to me by someone I know who works in the department of education here in South Carolina. And that site tries (though they don't give a direct link) to point to this, http://www.teachnm.org/overview.html, about a 3-Tiered Licensure System that has apparently been adopted in New Mexico.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Cynthia

« Reply #427 on: April 05, 2008, 10:15:56 PM »
Here's an interesting one for you, Cynthia, http://www.nctaf.org/. The site was recommended to me by someone I know who works in the department of education here in South Carolina. And that site tries (though they don't give a direct link) to point to this, http://www.teachnm.org/overview.html, about a 3-Tiered Licensure System that has apparently been adopted in New Mexico.

UP, Thank you so much for your kind and sincere attention to this subject and my quest. I do appreciate it so very much. I was wrong to bring up this topic in 3DHS board. I know that there is more to this story that is education in the public school system. Especially in my direct world.
Ironically,  BT made the best point of all and I have to give him credit for that......My situation is clearly a difficult one..Sirs, on the other hand, is like an ambulance following lawyer who will do anything to make a POINT TO WIN.

Sad. He used to have more "give and take" when it comes to points

in an argument. Now, he seems to want to win..and he'll piss everyone off doing so.

I maintain that I have valid and accurate points in my stance of this act.

This board is too willing to play a battle game, and that's the very reason why I like the place. ha.

It's a fun game room.

Ok, well, I have no more time to share here.

Universe Prince...you are gracious and kind and I will always admire you.

Thank you for giving this teacher your time on this board that is bad ass when it comes to "outsiders" like me.

I welcome any type of discussion and , once again, I am not afraid to speak up.....

I will read this link in more depth. I read part of it this evening.

I am a three tiered teacher. I have taught for 32 years. Those young teachers, who have to skip through hoops and jump over fields in order to 'MAKE A PROVEN' statement of their qualification...well, I feel for them....

Hear me now....this is not the nation for educating young minds in the poorest neighborhoods. IT IS however, a fabulous place to educate the wealthy and those who can afford to change schools, etc.

Most families want to educate their little children....and that's where I will alway come in....

I have shown my emotional side on here, and have also quickly deleleted such posts.... because I do not feel that they were valid in a place where too many "guests" read for the point of  tabloid gossip. ha.

But, I will take my passion for education to another arena....the classroom and the official board room.

I might even take it to the State legislature.

Richardson wasn't that bad for teachers, btw. He just has a big bad ego..and a temper to boot....
Yuk
 :P
..but he will soon leave us in NM and find himself in the winning ticket's backyard.

Naturally.

He is a seasoned politician. He is no dummy...ha.

Ok,
Thank you UP. Thank you so much.

I'll keep in touch here on the board. I look forward to seeing my students on Monday.

This has been challenging but good in a way...I have met new pals and I have found my sense of self in the harsh world of opinionated folks.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 10:22:13 PM by Cynthia »

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #428 on: April 06, 2008, 12:30:30 AM »

he seems to want to win

Thank you much for the kind words, Cynthia. I would like to point out though, everyone here wants to win, and I feel safe in saying that includes you. You tenacity on this subject, I believe, indicates that quite clearly. That is not a bad thing. It just happens to be the nature of this forum. It's partly why bother to keep coming back. Iron sharpens iron, as the saying goes.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #429 on: April 06, 2008, 01:23:24 PM »

I have already told some people that you are a saint...a "prince of a saint".

I appreciate the complement, but a saint I ain't.

Cynthia

« Reply #430 on: April 06, 2008, 01:30:18 PM »

I have already told some people that you are a saint...a "prince of a saint".

I appreciate the complement, but a saint I ain't.

I have decided to keep my posts shorter and sweeter...So, pardon my deletes. I am going to focus more on facts and less on being sensitive...xxxx'ing fingers.

Yes, UP You're a saint. A grand poster, indeed. And I have to say so are most folks on here....even Sirs...aw shucks.
ok end of a wonderful thread.....but, I will address the 18% issue on the post about drop out rates as soon as I hear back from the woman in the RDA dept. I emailed her Friday. She has already had some interesting things to say. I'll get back, then.

I'll leave it at that.

What a thread this has been...a ride to beat the Disney Dude.

Gracias....all

jimellisboyd

« Reply #431 on: April 07, 2008, 12:26:45 PM »
"Parents do not have a constitutional right to home school their children,"

This is the typical crap that comes out of CA. Here in NM, of course you can educate your own children... THEY ARE YOUR CHILDREN.... NOT THE GOVERNMENTS. Having been a former teacher myself, I have meet many well educated people that were home schooled.

It is the constant crazy stuff like this that goes on in CA is the reason I would never live there.

Cynthia

« Reply #432 on: April 08, 2008, 04:05:10 PM »
The 18.4% figure comes from the Cohort Status Report: Graduation and Dropout Status for Students in the Classes of 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004.   The figure represents the percent of Dropouts for the cohort class of 2004 districtwide.  This report has not been done for subsequent years. RDA consultant APS

This is the email I received today from the woman in RDA dept. She had not even heard of the 18% until I brought the KOAT TV news article to her attention!!!.go figure....Sad to say that even our administrators DON'T back up their stories...

so, why they do this? Possibly to ease the public and or the system??

It has been quite an experience to research this, Ami.  I have to say that the devil is indeed in details.

Thanks, Ami for your time on this topic,

Cynthia

attached is the report that seems to be at the botton line in terms of the 18%.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #433 on: April 09, 2008, 09:53:57 AM »
attached is the report that seems to be at the botton line in terms of the 18%.

Interesting. They've done everything they could to reduce the number of "drop-outs" on this report. For instance, if someone moves and stops going to high school, they're not counted as a "drop out" - they just "transfered out of the system".

Regardless, the percent of graduations on this report jives closely (within a few percentage points) of the other report. The 18.4% number is only the group of students who do not continue school and continue to live in the same school district as when they were going to school. There are other categories for students who stop attending school for other reasons as well.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #434 on: April 09, 2008, 01:44:58 PM »
It is the constant crazy stuff like this that goes on in CA is the reason I would never live there.

it`s not California
it`s segments of it
California is actually quite conservative
not the past 2 terms bush had a very large percent of the votes