Author Topic: California judge says no to homeschooling  (Read 122012 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: California judge says no to homeschooling
« Reply #435 on: April 09, 2008, 03:08:14 PM »
And a reason my wife and I, who would have NEVER considered moving out of state, now have to think seriously of moving out of state
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 06:46:01 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Cynthia

« Reply #436 on: April 09, 2008, 07:04:25 PM »
And a reason my wife and I, who would have NEVER considered moving out of state, now have to think seriously of moving out of state

Hey, sirs, a sidebar question. Did you and your wife have kids, since I was on board? I remember you were just getting married a few years ago. Just curious.
Are you guys planning to home school?
Cindy

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #437 on: April 09, 2008, 07:11:08 PM »
Alas, we're too old, and with not enough finances to adopt.  We do have 3 "kidz".  And they are homeschooled
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Cynthia

« Reply #438 on: April 09, 2008, 07:50:44 PM »
Alas, we're too old, and with not enough finances to adopt.  We do have 3 "kidz".  And they are homeschooled

Precious!!

Cynthia

« Reply #439 on: April 10, 2008, 12:51:37 AM »
attached is the report that seems to be at the botton line in terms of the 18%.

Interesting. They've done everything they could to reduce the number of "drop-outs" on this report. For instance, if someone moves and stops going to high school, they're not counted as a "drop out" - they just "transfered out of the system".

Regardless, the percent of graduations on this report jives closely (within a few percentage points) of the other report. The 18.4% number is only the group of students who do not continue school and continue to live in the same school district as when they were going to school. There are other categories for students who stop attending school for other reasons as well.

In this search, I found that numbers can't alway speak for themselves.

Human lives can speak for themselves.

The NCLB act is going to improve the drop out rate.

I am convinced of that now.

The NCLB act is a good thing and can only improve our lives ten fold.

I am convinced of that now.

Time will tell. .

Time will tell......

A jump to skip over numbers in order to "look good"...is bullshit.

I have learned that throughout this debate.

The intentions and goals for anything in education will have to be assessed

THROUGH TIME.

So, we shall see.

btw, thanks ami for you assessment ....I appreciate your skills, dear man.

Cynthia

Cynthia

« Reply #440 on: April 11, 2008, 11:03:26 PM »
After being back to work for five days, I have already noticed a change in the tide. We had an all day meeting to decide how we are going to resuscitate social studies and science in our school day. For that I am grateful.

The NCLB act might be the backbone for the intent to improve the public schools, but we are in the process of digging ourselves out of a quicksand pit slowly gaining ground that was already beneath our feet. It was under control, no problemo, without sin, operating with full nuts and bolts, ....... until the "State" chose to misunderstand what the NCLB act was actually dictating...I mean, suggesting....I mean .....serving up as provisions like a fine dinner. . . . 

So, as the teachers in our school saloon sat around the campfire today.....focused on how to bring teaching back into our world and a well rounded education into the world of our students, we held strong as teachers. We insisted that we be allowed to give back to our children what they have lost.....no bashing the NCLB- not once! And mind you that was on everyone's mind.

A step in the right direction. I celebrate my first week back from spring break, after a long hard winter....spring is in the air for the kids and we are about to take back our right to teach.

Then, I will shut my mouth about the NCLB act...as I am here to admit that we must call a spade a spade....this is true. The next step----a State takeover.

Hear us roar.....starting at the grassroots. . . what a world I work in today.  :)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 11:05:32 PM by Cynthia »