Author Topic: Ben Carson thinks Charles Darwin was encouraged by SATAN?  (Read 55549 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ben Carson thinks Charles Darwin was encouraged by SATAN?
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2015, 10:34:22 AM »
How does it work to be a Christian that doesn't believe in Satan?

It doesn't.  And as we can all see now, xo having lost that argument has now shifted in simply trying to "disprove" Christianity itself      ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2015, 10:45:17 AM »
Well, the idea that all evil is somehow controlled by a defective angel is rather quaint, considering that an omnipotent  and sane God would no more allow such an entity to run about among the beings he loves than a sane doctor would refuse to try to eliminate ebola or pneumonia in a hospital.

Do you believe that insanity is caused by demons, sirs?  Do you believe that insanity can be cured by transferring demons to a herd of pigs? Do you believe that demons would cause pigs to become suicidal, when it did not seem to have that effect on the insane man? The obvious thing an omnipotent being (and we are told that Jesus was God, or at least God, Jr.) would be to just eliminate the demons.

I mean, you yourself would try to SHOOT a crazy person with your trusty Roscoe rather than transfer his demons into  a herd of pigs, a gaggle of geese, a clowder of cats, wouldn't you?

Do you believe that testing one's faith by furgling with venomous snakes is something that a holy inspired person should advocate, as Paul did?
It seems to be a stupid thing to advocate, considering all the people who have managed to kill themselves by snake furgling.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »
And you have every right to believe whatever you want.  But you have no right or standing or even credibility to dictate what others must believe or must not believe.  #IAmAChristian....period.  And if Obama is indeed a "Christian", then he too believes not just in Christ, but in Satan and his minions....period

And the best part is....you don't have to
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2015, 11:18:29 AM »
I observe that you  refuse to answer the questions posed.

Are your beliefs  too silly for you to own up to them?

Can't you proudly state "Yes, I believe that God shows His great love for me by creating a defective angel and demons  to  lure me into evil"?

Can't you say, "why YES, it was ever so clever of Paul to preach to people that they could and should test their faith by playing with venomous snakes? What a fine idea for a saintly man to suggest! How glorious of God to put that idea into his head!"

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2015, 12:14:27 PM »
That question assumes I accept every one of your puny human driven non-believing parameters.  Sorry.  Now, if you were a Discples of Christ Minister asking said question, then I might be inclined to take it seriously.  You aren't, so I'm under no need to

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2015, 12:36:31 PM »
They are not my parameters. They are in the Bible. I have made nothing up.

You have run out of arguments. Pfft.

<does Church Lady style victory dance>

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2015, 01:30:56 PM »
Yes, they are.  When you've renounced your agnostic ways, and have taken up a walk with God, then we can address your parameters with a tad more credibility

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2015, 02:10:11 PM »
That is just dumb.

Once you believe Tinkerbelle can fly, you are worthy to discuss Peter Pan.

Once you believe  lowering taxes, you are worthy of discussing the sanity of Republicans.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2015, 02:26:04 PM »
Nothing dumb at all about having a serious conversation about religion.  When you decide to want to have one, you'll know where to find......any of us

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2015, 08:47:47 PM »
Nothing dumb at all about having a serious conversation about religion.  When you decide to want to have one, you'll know where to find......any of us

He is here as a volunteer, his skill and his enthusiasm are what they are, we can't demand better.

Indeed , his availability to discuss is phenomenal, lets be appreciative.

We are not converting him, and he is not converting us, what are we enjoying?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2015, 08:57:38 PM »
   I disagree with the "snake handlers" Paul did say that there would be protection , but it is clearly not absolute, Gods business isn't making supermen.

People on Gods business can expect Gods help , not invulnerability.

Remember, one of the temptations of Christ was to fling himself off a tower so that the angels could demonstrate a catch. Jesus rebuked the Devil for asking him to "test" God.

I understand this as God is tough to trick, he knows the difference between a genuine need for protection and a vain call for attention.

Or I could be wrong, it is amazing how many "snake handlers " carry on for years .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2015, 09:01:46 PM »

Once you believe Tinkerbelle can fly, you are worthy to discuss Peter Pan.

Once you believe  lowering taxes, you are worthy of discussing the sanity of Republicans.

It is certainly possible to discuss stuff without agreeing.

But discussing stuff you do not understand is different , but how does one avoid it?

I just barely know what I do not know, I am sure there is more to my lack of knowledge than I have kept up with.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2015, 12:27:41 AM »
There are many, many instances in which some Christian missionary demonstrates that the superior powers of God compared with the lesser powers of pagan gods. Ireland abounds in tests in which the Druid priests do something impressive, and then St Patrick does something even MORE supernatural and of course, all the peasants abandon the Druids and  their deities and then embrace Jesus. Some of these miracles are attributed to religious relics, a toebone of St. Ursula, a finger of St Stephen, and so on.

Then there are the instances in which the Christian priest cannot pull off his trick, and in these cases, of course, he is rebuked for "testing the power of God".

I have read several books in both Spanish and English of miracles of various saints, some of which seem to resemble  are pretty lame parlor tricks. The Middle Ages was boring as Hell, and when the priests came to town, people expected some sort of show. Telling them they were all born in sin and were headed straight to the fiery pits of Hades was generally met fewer results than demonstrating of "wonder-workin' pawr", jst as faith healers get more converts than hellfire and damnation preachers.

Of course, after an earthquake, flood, forest fire, volcanic eruption or mudslide, the hellfire and damnation bit goes over pretty well. Most people generally all can be made to feel guilty of SOMETHING. 

People in general, especially women, fear snakes. Some snakes are venomous, others won't even bite if provoked. And everyone knows that even small snakes can kill you. So snake handling has all the fixin's of an impressive religious sideshow. Lots of people like to watch impending disaster. That is the big draw for NASCAR and destruction derbies. Lacking old cars, Paul or some other religious sideshow act surely put on a snake handling fest, and people ate it up, so Paul, the ultimate PR  dude, either tried doing it himself or recruited a snake handler who was successful at not getting killed.

Had the snake bit and killed the guy, then he would have been accused of "testing God" and put down as a heretic, of course, and snake handling as an approved test of faith would never have made it into the Bible.

I fail to see why I am not "serious"about debating religion unless I claim to be a whole hog believer. That is the problem with religious "study': it is not real study at all.
No chemist demands that I must swear that I sincerely believe that a penny will be dissolved in acid before  being permitted to test the idea.

Today, I discovered that my neighbor's yappy little dog, that harassed me with nonstop barking by day and by night can be dissuaded from barking at me by squirting him in the face with a water pistol. This worked for about five minutes and then he was back yapping again.  I then filled my trusty squirt gun with a 50-50 mic=x of vinegar and water and that shut him up for the rest of the afternoon. He ran away and hid on the other side of the house.

That is how Science works: pose a theory, then try to see how well it works. Now I know to shut up the yappy dog.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2015, 03:19:53 AM »
I fail to see why I am not "serious"about debating religion unless I claim to be a whole hog believer.

Because anyone "serious" about discussing it, wouldn't resort to trying to demean the person they're having the "discussion with", with examples of the tooth fairy

No chemist demands that I must swear that I sincerely believe that a penny will be dissolved in acid before  being permitted to test the idea.

Nor would you be demeaning the Chemist as some gypsy want-to-be, with his toy play set.  See the difference?  It's in the "how", that demonstrates if you're trying to be serious or not.  Here's a hint, trying to demean and denigrate the other person & their belief is NOT trying to have a serious discussion

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2015, 09:45:37 AM »
You are making no sense.

There may or may never have been a Yeshua ben Yacuf, aka Jesus, But the one that appears in the NT is mostly a creation of Paul of Tarsus. Paul is the inventor of "Christianity", and he was a very clever man. He realized that as a subcult within Judaism, his cult would never expand, due to (a) the limited number of Jews and (b) the rather great resistance of Jews to redefine the Messiah as an actual Deity, rather than a second King David, a victorious military leader.

When Shimon Bar Kokhba came along, declared himself the Messiah, he organized the Jewish people as a military force, and the united Jewish people  drove the Romans out of Palestine. He was celebrated as the "Son of the Star".

Lamentably, however, there were more Romans than Jews, and the Romans returned and wiped Bar Kokhba's rebels out. Eventually, the Temple was destroyed, and none of the actual events about the civil strife between Romans and Jews made it into the Bible. The Bible is seriously incomplete as history, especially the New Testament.

The Jews decided that since Bat Kokhba was defeated, he was not the Messiah after all.