Author Topic: Campus Lunacy  (Read 12718 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Campus Lunacy
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 11:41:24 PM »
I was in Clovis working on Cannon AFB.

I did see a lot of tumble weed, it filled the hotel pool overnight, it stacked itself on fences until there was no sight of the fence itself.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 12:02:18 AM »
Burning tumbleweeds get very, very hot.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 12:23:10 AM »
College should be a place where all sorts of ideas are discussed. That was what we did at NMSU when I attended there in the 1960's.

Too bad that's not the standard now, where anything that even remotely leans conservative, is designated hate speech...conservative pundits/speakers/politicians are designated as hateful racists, and are dis-invited, so that the only ideas being discussed are liberal

...and thus more easily manipulated

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 03:29:35 AM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 03:58:58 AM »
I last year a student tried to ban comics because she expected batman and superman not maus or anything thought provoking. I found those comics abit heady for me but would never ever think to prevent them to be read by anyone else.

Ill even go as far to say it's not even liberal but more of students right gone so far it endangers education.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 12:15:48 PM »
Oh no, make no mistake Kimba, this is predominantly liberal.  One need only look at the mass of student support of someone like Sanders, and the rhetoric they echo of his
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 12:38:02 PM »
mass of student support of someone like Sanders

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 03:25:29 PM »
I say this because comics as a college course does not seem to me something conservatives would support. I think this has become some different kind of beast.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 03:33:23 PM »
Well, it's definately had a mutation factor to it, but its origins are distinctly liberal based, where discipline has all been but removed from the classroom and replaced with pathological political correctness

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 03:44:49 PM »
i use pc to torture people. I have taken the notion od women should not be objectified and give the most lame compliments to women and ending it everytime with the phrase with respect to your intellect. They totally do not like it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2016, 06:38:24 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/American-Born-Chinese-Gene-Luen/dp/0312384483

Have you seen this?

This is a graphic novel (thick comic book).

The subject is the self conscious feeling of a person who wants to be American in all ways but has a foreign looking face.

I do not want to spoil the story further , but I highly recommend it as a cleverly written and thought provoking literature.

But it has a stereotypical character in it , a really intensely offensive one, this story depends on this character as Huckleberry Finn relies on  Jim.

Would an effort to clean our literature of such characters leave us with an insipid inability to discuss anything negative and rob us of many worthwhile stories?   

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 08:53:38 PM »
May check it out. Likely relate to some aspect. I do wonder do nonchinese know what the word fob means. Im a fob despite how long i've been in the states

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2016, 08:10:44 PM »
There was a wacko Mexican guy at NMSU named Montestruc who was a fan of the John Birchers, and a Texan named Ed that was obsessed with a book called the Ordeal of Otto Otipka, about some bureaucrat who was demoted to a job in an empty room where he had to sit all day doing nothing to get paid by the Defense Dept. Of course, he used the time to write this book.  NO one I knew took either of these guys seriously, and we laughed at them behind their backs. Otto Otipka was convinced that the Soviets were taking over because they ignored him. Montestruc believed that the Red Chinese had a plan to take over the US by poisoning everyone with fluoridated water, a common Bircher belief.

They were perhaps less loony than the current right wingers, who seem poised to support Trump to avoid Hillary turning the US into a
Communist state.

No one had been convicted so far as I know of "hate speech" for saying really stupid shit.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2016, 09:05:13 PM »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 02:43:34 PM »
See, there you are, telling college students that YOU have the right to decide for them.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 03:20:18 PM »
Wrong again, oh mighty professor of wrongness.  No one is deciding anything for them....that's the damn point.  They have the option of chosing to ignore anything and everything said that might hurt their fragile little ears.  What they don't get to do is to shut down what other people say, regardless of how it might hurt their fragile mental state