Author Topic: Why so scared of Christmas?  (Read 77146 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why so scared of Christmas?
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2008, 07:40:28 PM »
URL: http://www.aclu.org/religion/gen/33210res20071213.html

Christmas and the ACLU

The American Civil Liberties Union takes seriously its commitment to defending the First Amendment of the United States Constitution...

Yea, by pushing litigation directly contrary to it.  Way to go ACLU     >:(

Thank you for your baseless opinion.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2008, 07:45:44 PM »

Excellent question.  Somehow, people praying, decorating their workplaces with nativity scenes while not bothering anyone else, etc, offend the hell out of you and like minds.  So much so, you have no problem with folks like the ACLU running rough shot, with the mere threat of litigation, directly counter the clear intentions of the Founders, when they put toether the 1st amendment to the Constitution.  Though again, I pretty much have a grasp as to the fear.  Less able to control us delusional folks

I'm totally open to the idea that I may be wrong but you would really have to provide some kind of indication that the ACLU has sued or threatened to sue anyone about saying Merry Christmas or practicing christmas or something.

Just something other than your vitriolic word.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2008, 08:21:08 PM »
Don't worry about it, Brass. They gotta make somebody the boogerman, or there wouldn't be anybody for their precious savior to save them from.

Totally.

What's really odd is how the right is constantly whining about groups asking for special consideration (like african-americans and affirmative action) then they turn around claim victimhood when everyone isn't wishing them a Merry Christmas at every turn.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2008, 08:46:37 PM »
...then they turn around claim victimhood when everyone isn't wishing them a Merry Christmas at every turn.

Martyrdom by proxy - their savior supposedly suffered on the cross, so to show their allegiance to him, they have to feel they are suffering some sort of persecution themselves. Even if it's only imagined.

I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood. - George Carlin
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
So much so, you have no problem with folks like the ACLU running rough shot, with the mere threat of litigation, directly counter the clear intentions of the Founders, when they put toether the 1st amendment to the Constitution.

=============
I believe the actual expression is "running rough SHOD" rather than "running rough shot" To be roughly shod would entail wearing jackboots or other footwear that might be particularly uncomfortable to those being run over.

---------------------------
True, this is triviial, bit I believe less so than the entire issue of the bogus "War on Christmas".
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2008, 10:57:57 PM »

Excellent question.  Somehow, people praying, decorating their workplaces with nativity scenes while not bothering anyone else, etc, offend the hell out of you and like minds.  So much so, you have no problem with folks like the ACLU running rough shot, with the mere threat of litigation, directly counter the clear intentions of the Founders, when they put toether the 1st amendment to the Constitution.  Though again, I pretty much have a grasp as to the fear.  Less able to control us delusional folks

I'm totally open to the idea that I may be wrong but you would really have to provide some kind of indication that the ACLU has sued or threatened to sue anyone about saying Merry Christmas or practicing christmas or something.

Sure would be nice if you'd cease claiming something, I ever said.  But when one has nothing to back themselves up with, one must do, what one must do apparently.  In this case keep repeating something that was never said by myself, unless the "something" you want has to do with requirements made by ACLU-like litigants that Christmas decorations, and Christian oriented acts/decorations be prevented from going up in public work places & schools.  Gads, it's make one get nauseous when the ACLU threatened to take the City of L.A. (or some Southern CA city) to court, because there was a tiny cross, on the much larger emblem on the door, of the patrol car.  Absolutely asanine

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2008, 12:06:14 AM »
<<Gads, it's make one get nauseous when the ACLU threatened to take the City of L.A. (or some Southern CA city) to court, because there was a tiny cross, on the much larger emblem on the door, of the patrol car.  Absolutely asanine>>

Great idea, the police cars should be emblazoned with images of the True Cross.  That's really reassuring to the Muslims, Buddhists, Jews and Hindus of the city.  "Sir, please get down on the ground face down with your wrists crossed behind your back.  The soldiers of the One True Cross are here to protect your filthy infidel ass."  Who needs a professional, secular police force when you could have instead the Enforcers of the Lord Jesus' Word to enforce  - - with total impartiality of course - - the law of the land over all its citizens of every race, colour and creed?  Hilarious.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2008, 12:23:45 AM »
WWJT ~ Who would Jesus Taze?

The city of New Orleans uses the fleur de lis, a sign of the Resurrection. I have yet to hear any ACLU complaints about that.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2008, 12:24:59 AM »
<<Gads, it's make one get nauseous when the ACLU threatened to take the City of L.A. (or some Southern CA city) to court, because there was a tiny cross, on the much larger emblem on the door, of the patrol car.  Absolutely asanine>>

Great idea, the police cars should be emblazoned with images of the True Cross.  

You must have missed the part where it was a tiny cross, only visisble to someone who had to look really closely.  Oh, and perhaps you also missed the part where Los Angeles is translated from the Catholic "The Angels".  So, when are you pushing for the name change, Tee??  I mean, it has to be very insultive to Muslims & Buddhists, right?  a whole damn city named thru the Catholic faith.  All the Los _____, San ______, and Santa ______ are all Catholically derived names.  Where's the outrage??

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2008, 12:29:27 AM »
Insultive?  Is that anything like outrageful?

I like the straw man technique you use: make up silly cases the ACLU has never suggested and them assault them mightily.

This continues to be a totally bogus issue.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2008, 12:42:59 AM »
Fleur de lys, as far as I know, was the emblem of pre-Revolutionary (i.e. Royalist) France.  Since most of the French settlers in North America had arrived before the French Revolution, when they wanted to represent their French heritage, they chose the fleur de lys rather than the tricolore.  To tell the truth, I never heard of the fleur de lys being representative of anything but the ancien regime.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 12:44:59 AM by Michael Tee »

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2008, 12:59:59 AM »
<<You must have missed the part where it was a tiny cross, only visisble to someone who had to look really closely. >>

No, but you must have missed another chunk of real life, bringing your experience of it down to maybe 2% of your total waking hours.  In real life, once you know that a design includes a particular design element, no matter how small it is, when you see the design, you know that the design element is there too.

Oh, and surprise!! both Jews and Muslims also believe in angels.  So there's nothing particularly Christian in that concept.  Christians  didn't even invent the idea - - they lifted it from the Jews. 

For your future information, the words "Los" and "Las" are the masculine and feminine plural forms of the English word "The," so there is nothing at all Catholic about them.  "Las Vegas," for example, means simply "The Meadows."  "Los Alamos," "The Poplars."  Unless the Catholics are nature-worshipers, there is nothing particularly Catholic in either of those names.

"San" and "Santa" are of course indicative of sainthood.  San Francisco for example is named after St. Francis.  Santa Catarina, St. Catherine.  I think whenever a city is named for a person, that person had some kind of religion.  You might as well argue that Washington D.C. is a Protestant religious name because George Washington was a Protestant.

Your arguments are getting beyond silly, but I understand.  Desperation can do funny things to a man's power of reasoning.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2008, 01:34:37 AM »
Most of the cities along the coast of California were founded as missions by Franciscan priests.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2008, 07:35:28 AM »
<<Most of the cities along the coast of California were founded as missions by Franciscan priests.>>

Even sirs must have figured that out at some point - - according to his loony-tunes idea of how the ACLU supposedly thinks,  the Franciscans should either (a) not have founded any cities at all or (b) named them all after famous scientists, explorers or athletes.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2008, 09:40:29 PM »

I believe the actual expression is "running rough SHOD" rather than "running rough shot" To be roughly shod would entail wearing jackboots or other footwear that might be particularly uncomfortable to those being run over.

---------------------------
True, this is triviial, bit I believe less so than the entire issue of the bogus "War on Christmas".

Indeed the expression is "running rough shod" and I wanted to point that out to sirs, but I knew he would seize on it as some kind of dodging of his "true discussion" (which is entirely bogus).