Author Topic: Tea Party vs Wall Street Hippy/Thug/Handout Crowd Campout  (Read 31103 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Tea Party vs Wall Street Hippy/Thug/Handout Crowd Campout
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2011, 05:10:07 PM »
Really?  And where exactly did Obama admit to torturing or authorizing torture?  Inquiring minds need to know.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/4425135/Barack-Obama-to-allow-anti-terror-rendition-to-continue.html

My "blatant racism" exists only in your imagination

Actually it is evidenced by your posts in this forum.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2011, 08:40:50 PM »
   Do we have a definition of racism, one that is subjective and clear, hopefully a definition that makes us agree that we are discussing the same phenominon and not speaking past each other.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2011, 08:57:41 PM »
<<Actually it is evidenced by your posts in this forum.>>

The existence of my posts in this forum is undeniable.  What exists only in your imagination is the racist character that you have given to them.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2011, 09:17:58 PM »
It actually exists in reality.....posts that single out a person's race as a means of criticizing, is racist by nature.  Calling a person an uncle tom is no better than calling a person a n..... 

Simple as that

So the only place that your comments are NOT racist, is in your imagination, I'm afraid
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2011, 09:26:04 PM »
<<Actually it is evidenced by your posts in this forum.>>

The existence of my posts in this forum is undeniable.  What exists only in your imagination is the racist character that you have given to them.

Is this really just a perception problem?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2011, 10:24:41 PM »
In the vernacular, is calling someone Uncle Tom used to designate a sell out in any other but the American Negro subset?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2011, 10:26:08 PM »
You know, CU4, you make a pretty good case, but ONLY for the proposition that the iPhone and other devices for electronic communications are not EXCLUSIVELY toys, that there are some "serious" uses for them.  I guess I characterized them a little too broadly. 

However, I feel that a lot of the uses you have told me about are at bottom just trivial and inconsequential, falling into the BYC category ("because you can") but otherwise of no real use.  Some of the devices clearly do nothing more than duplicate the functions of pre-existing technology such as digital cameras.  As an example, from your own business, which I understand is process serving:
- <<customers, managers or employees can track the status of process servings>>

BFD.  In most cases, the customer doesn't give a shit.  He hands over the claim, summons, whatever in plenty of time, and expects to get it back, with proof of service, sometime in the next 7 to 10 days.  If time is crucial, a shorter deadline is given and the process server is told to call the customer and report at the end of each working day till completion, or immediately if a serious problem develops.    Closer supervision is an unnecessary frill.

As for the rest of your uses for iPhones, a simple digital camera would do the trick.  A lawyer who gives out a claim for service doesn't give a shit where the guy is served or what his house looks like.  He just wants the fucking thing served.  Period.  End of story.  He doesn't have the time to look at pictures of the guy's home.  It is not the lawyer's problem where the guy lives, that is the process server's problem.   A good process server can provide an affidavit to satisfy the judge that a party is dodging service.  Photos can't just be shown to a judge, they first have to be entered into evidence through an authenticating procedure that just wastes the court's time and pisses off the judge, who is probably thinking, are these guys morons?  Don't they know how to make an affidavit?  Pictures are useless without an affidavit or other evidence explaining them.  A picture of a guy crouching down behind a car is no more proof that he is avoiding service than that he is looking for dropped keys or getting up after a slip and fall.  In any event, there are plenty of cheap devices to record such events.

You make a valid point about the transmission and receipt of critical medical information, but this is mainly limited to emergency situations and it's hard to think of many iPhone 4S being purchased by EMS for the workplace.

- people in car accidents take cell-phone pictures to substantiate their version of how it happened: 

LOL, if some schmuck hops out of the car and immediately starts snapping cell phone pictures of the accident at the scene, he's going to have a helluva time later convincing a jury that he suffered major injuries that have fucked him up for life.  If it's a major crash with major injuries, the cops will be all over the scene, measuring, photographing, interviewing witnesses, etc.  In any event, the property damage adjusters will take a full set of pictures of each car that they insure, before any repairs are started.  Most jurisdictions are now now-fault auto liability, meaning that unless someone has suffered really major injuries, it doesn't matter whose fault the accident was, so pictures taken at the scene are much less important than they previously were.

Googling directions and checking weather conditions are very, very minor accomplishments.  Most folks do that before leaving home.  If you're a commercial fisherman, of course, you'll take many more precautions, have marine radio with on-board transmission, etc.  For the odd schmuck going out for the evening who forgets to check for weather or directions before leaving home, or gets lost, I'm sure it comes in handy, but I'd hardly describe it as life-changing.

The rest of your examples are just, unfortunately, a mixture of the truly trivial and the statistically insignificant.  The real-estate agents flashing information at lightning speed for example was just ridiculous.  People don't make real estate decisions at lightning speed and it would only be on the rarest occasion imaginable that there would be any need for such speed.  The iBodyguard, peanut alert, etc. are just gimmicks.  Unless the apps come factory-installed, I bet they are the LOWEST-selling of all of the apps available.   Mario Brothers games probably outsell all of them by a margin of 10,000 to 1.

These devices are, as I originally said, basically toys.  A few applications are put together for them, basically BYC.  Probably the number of lives saved by the peanut alert app, the iBodyguard and the iDistress apps could all fit into a telephone booth.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2011, 10:32:57 PM »
RE:  Michael the Racist

Sorry, guys, but I've just reached the limit of the time I'm prepared to expend defending myself against these absurd charges.  We're all starting to repeat ourselves and the discussion is going nowhere.

If you think that calling Herman Cain an Uncle Tom makes me a racist, it appears that there is nothing I can do to dissuade you.  That's your opinion, and so be it.

Personally, I say that Herman Cain is an Uncle Tom and I say it in good conscience, not accepting any blame or guilt for saying it, and not in any way conceding that I am a racist in whole or in part.  And I'll continue calling him an Uncle Tom because that is EXACTLY what he is.

And now, let's move on.  If anyone wants the last word on this, it's theirs.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2011, 10:34:27 PM »
absurd in YOUR imagination, perhaps
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2011, 10:35:25 PM »
In the vernacular, is calling someone Uncle Tom used to designate a sell out in any other but the American Negro subset?

That is the only way I have ever heard it.

If I called someone an Unkle Tom for being a White toady to Black intrests would this be understandable? Is the meaning so specific that it can't be adapted?

Quisling seems universally applicable , provided there is a little knoledge of WWII history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom's_Cabin

".................Stowe, a Connecticut-born teacher at the Hartford Female Academy and an active abolitionist, featured the character of Uncle Tom, a long-suffering black slave around whom the stories of other characters—both fellow slaves and slave owners—revolve. The sentimental novel depicts the reality of slavery while also asserting that Christian love can overcome something as destructive as enslavement of fellow human beings.[2][3][4]

Uncle Tom's Cabin was the best-selling novel of the 19th century,[5] and the second best-selling book of that century, following the Bible.[6] It is credited with helping fuel the abolitionist cause in the 1850s.[7] In the first year after it was published, 300,000 copies of the book were sold in the United States alone. In 1855, three years after it was published, it was called "the most popular novel of our day."[8] One million copies of the book were sold in Great Britain.[9] The impact attributed to the book is great, reinforced by a story that when Abraham Lincoln met Stowe at the start of the Civil War, Lincoln declared, "So this is the little lady who started this great war."[10] The quote is apocryphal; it did not appear in print until 1896, and it has been argued that "The long-term durability of Lincoln's greeting as an anecdote in literary studies and Stowe scholarship can perhaps be explained in part by the desire among many contemporary intellectuals ... to affirm the role of literature as an agent of social change."[11]

The book, and the plays it inspired, also helped popularize a number of stereotypes about black people,[12] many of which endure to this day. These include the affectionate, dark-skinned "mammy"; the "pickaninny" stereotype of black children; and the 'Uncle Tom', or dutiful, long-suffering servant faithful to his white master or mistress. In recent years, the negative associations with Uncle Tom's Cabin have, to an extent, overshadowed the historical impact of the book as a "vital antislavery tool."[13]............."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2011, 10:40:14 PM »
RE:  Michael the Racist

Sorry, guys, but I've just reached the limit of the time I'm prepared to expend defending myself against these absurd charges.  We're all starting to repeat ourselves and the discussion is going nowhere.

So what does characterise your racial feelings towards Herman Cain?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2011, 10:47:37 PM »

That is the only way I have ever heard it.

Ditto

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:10:19 AM by sirs »

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2011, 11:00:50 PM »
  Some of the devices clearly do nothing more than duplicate the functions of pre-existing technology such as digital cameras.

Kind of like the automobile didn't really "change lives"
because "heck boss we coulda rode our horsee to Chicago"!
 ::)
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2011, 11:08:34 PM »
<<Kind of like the automobile didn't really "change lives"
because "heck boss we coulda rode our horsee to Chicago"!>>

Nope, not at all like that.  The automobile was a helluva lot faster than the horse and buggy, probably shaved days off the trip.

For all the purposes you mentioned, there are virtually no differences at all in performance between the digital camera and the iPhone 4S.

Of all those crowds swarming to buy the 4S, I bet nobody was there to buy it for iDistress, iBodyguard or the other life-saving app you mentioned.  They're flocking to buy it for recreational communication, optics (camera) and the "toy" nature of the Siris app.  It's a purely frivolous purchase, and I stick by what I said about it being a textbook case of misplaced societal priorities.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: October 17, 2011, 01:24:17 AM »
Nope, not at all like that. 

Yes exactly like that.
You are being an idiot Michael.

For all the purposes you mentioned, there are virtually no differences
at all in performance between the digital camera and the phone 4S.

Michael there are HUGE differences.
The iphone(wireless device) is much quicker at bringing images to relevance/reality.
You can be almost anywhere and send images and video all over the world.
Workers, doctors, rescue first responders, family, children can share data & images & video
images can be improved/edited on the spot....You can print images wirelessly.
A ten year old in Iowa can send a Dad in Hong Kong a video or picture of a science project due tomorrow.
An EMT can send a live picture of a unknown species of snake to a hospital that just bit a toddler.
A process server can send a pic/video of a defendent that is denying they are the defendent.
A witness can more easily film a historical event/accident/tragedy & help investigators discover cause & prevention
Camera stores like record stores are closing all over the country and not just because of the internet
because more and more people are finding wireless devices have changed the way they manage images
most retail cameras in a few short years for the most part will be like the album...
on the ash heap of history....
only used by collectors, nostalgia buffs, ad agencies, fashion shoots, military, and old timers, etc....
just like the iPod and other such devices have changed music
the i-phone and other wireless devices are changing other facets of life
the point isnt that many of these things cant be done without wireless
but devices like the iPhone make many of actions happen in lightening speed and ease
just like I could ride a horse to Chicago next weekend instead of an airplane
an EMT could take a digital camera picture of the snake bitten child & snake & go get it developed.

Of all those crowds swarming to buy the 4S, I bet nobody was there to buy it for iDistress, iBodyguard
or the other life-saving app you mentioned.  They're flocking to buy it for recreational communication,
optics (camera) and the "toy" nature of the Siris app.  It's a purely frivolous purchase, and I stick by
what I said about it being a textbook case of misplaced societal priorities.

They each have there own thousand reasons of why they want a great wireless device/computer
because in some way ..different with each user...has impact on their daily life.
it allows them to work better, work quicker, relax better, save time better, be more productive,
be more informed, share data, images, info, ect X 1o,ooo with colleagues as never before in human history.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987